Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2006, 06:46 PM

Chewing Habits/why does Harvey do this?

Noticed that Harvey starts chewing at his bone or chews when we have been out and come back home. He also does this when we have visitors. Does anyone know why this is?
Honesty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2006, 07:07 PM
just to make sure his stuff is still there??? Or to see if anyone as messed with it, or when visitors are round, so they can't chew it..???Dunno.
Ein used to chew everything, all the time...doors, chesterfield, my floor ...so I can't help more..LOL.. doesn't do it now as much, but she's settled here now, but when we first got her, she ate everything..
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Harvey's bone at the moment is one of those white ones with a hole through the middle which was stuffed with a filling, that went ages ago. Most of the time he ignores it and its just left on the floor, but as I said when ever we've been out or one of us has and comes home after greeting us he seems to be chomping away at his bone. I wondered if it was a sort of pleasure/contentment behaviour.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 07:57 PM
It could be a comfort thing Chewing releases feel good things to their brain I think So if things are a bit different he might do it reassure himself everything is ok

I could be talking rubbish though
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi Marean When Harvey does this when you have been out it may be a ''pleased to see a familiar thing '' behaviour, when you have visitors it could be a displacement activity because your attention is taken elsewhere
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Dill does this, he has to grab a toy! I think it just reassures them and is also a way to let out excitement xx