Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shiner
New Member!
Male 

14-09-2005, 02:11 PM

Chasing sunbeams and torches / obsessive behaviour

My 3yr old jack russel goes daft at sun beams being reflected off glass and other surfaces. He also goes daft if you shine a torch on the floor. He tries to eat the light shining on the floor. Does anybody know any way I can stop him doing this without blindfolding him. It is particularily dangerous when out walking when cars go by and the sun reflects off the windows, he will lay chase to the reflection.
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi Shiner I have absolutley no idea how to stop your problem (as i've never experienced this myself) however someone will be along soon i'm sure who can help you.

Nice to see another JRT owner on this site.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Hello Shiner a lot of dogs do this and I think they see the reflection as 'prey' ,they don't see things in the same way we do and are far more aware of moving objects ..you can try distracting him with a toy or a treat and lots of praise when he comes to you and ignores the shiny object...
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

14-09-2005, 09:48 PM
my BIL border collie does this she is fascinated by light reflections - don't know how you would stop it though
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2005, 09:49 PM
mine used to do the same but it didn`t really bother me used to always play with the torch light when we where out at night maybe somebody knows why ?
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2005, 10:33 PM
tuson did this too but i have so many pretty crystal sun catchers in my windows and things hes pretty much used to them now and ignores them
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-09-2005, 12:08 AM
As Mini says, it is instinctive for dogs to chase obejcts that move, and this can include lightbeams and reflections. This behaviour can quickly change from being a fun game for the dog to becoming obsessive and distressing. Try to distract him as soon as the behaviour starts
Shiner
New Member!
Male 

15-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Unfortunately distraction does not seem to work as he obsesses with the reflections. He has done this since we got him from the rescue centre a year ago. It is most annoying when we go out in the car.