Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Checking - in, doing the right stuff?

Max, our 10 1/2 wk old GSD pup just loves running after you when you are walking and grabbinh your trouser leg.

We are stopping and distracting him with a treat and/or toy to stop him. It does work and he is starting to do it less.

Similar situation with the cats. Just wanted to check-in with you all that we're getting this right or if you have anything further to add?

Ta.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 09:31 AM
I don`t think the odd OI! and turning away does any harm.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Yes "oi" is a good one for this, but this is also a really great time to get his attention onto YOU rather than those trousers legs lol! Try distracting him when he starts with an inquisitive "hey" "look at me" "see what I've got/what I'm doing, it's much more fun" you can't start too early with that focus on yourself! You have to act the fool yes, but that's all part of the training imo!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 10:15 AM
There is a danger that positive rewards for any behaviour encourage it once the dog learns that attention comes form it.

If you see what I mean----if what you are doing works then that is great but be aware that it could have a down side.

Have fun!

rune
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks! Like that, seeing it as an opportunity to get the focus on us. Great stuff, ta!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
There is a danger that positive rewards for any behaviour encourage it once the dog learns that attention comes form it.
Yes, wondered if he would cotton-on to it....he's very bright!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
this is not advice but oi works for me. I find some dogs, once they know not to do it, will not even when unsupervised. And some look to see if any one is watching!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Id say get him onto a toy and if you can get him to stop and look for his toy instead, then you give him it. So he isnt just being given something straight after tugging your clothes, but is learning something else instead.

No expert but just what I would think...
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I redirected to a toy where possible, usually BEFORE Rupert actually grabbed my arms or legs or whatever other part of me he could get hold of. If he refused to redirect I just went "uh uh" and left the room for about 30 seconds. Simply turning away didn't work with him, he'd just carry on jumping all over me, grabbing me and biting me. He wasn't a pup though.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I redirected to a toy where possible, usually BEFORE Rupert actually grabbed my arms or legs or whatever other part of me he could get hold of. If he refused to redirect I just went "uh uh" and left the room for about 30 seconds. Simply turning away didn't work with him, he'd just carry on jumping all over me, grabbing me and biting me. He wasn't a pup though.
This sounds just what I did when Flame was a pup. Yogi wasn't a biter at all.