Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 10:36 PM

Cheese Failed!

How could it?
Louie responds to cheese in the house with the clicker, not out?

Does this mean I have to carry his rubber duck around with me now?

He gets heel off lead but when he's on it, he ignores me...any ideas?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
How could it?
Louie responds to cheese in the house with the clicker, not out?

Does this mean I have to carry his rubber duck around with me now?

He gets heel off lead but when he's on it, he ignores me...any ideas?
Yes ~ the cheese is overshadowed by the excitement of the "big outdoors"!! Too many smells, sights & sounds for the cheese to carry any weight outdoors.

Maybe you need to practice the training in very unexciting & boring places first (e.g. garden, driveway, empty park etc) & then build up to places where there are distractions at a distance, then gradually getting closer, but at a distance where your dog is not distracted.

Also try using different treats & "weighting" the value of the treats. So for doing a relatively easy exercise in the house, maybe a biscuit, or verbal praise or petting would be enough. Then use higher value food titbits as the training exercises get harder.

If the rubber duck is the highest value reward as far as your dog is concerned, then use this as a "jackpot" for particularly hard &/or very well performed exercises.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Daisy responds far better to toys than food in training. She occasionally works for food but her whole posture changes (all the lights go on) if I wave her Ballie at her.
Whatever floats their boat, I say. A friend trained her GSP to working trials competition standard with the sole aid of a small cloth mouse.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Daisy responds far better to toys than food in training. She occasionally works for food but her whole posture changes (all the lights go on) if I wave her Ballie at her.
Whatever floats their boat, I say. A friend trained her GSP to working trials competition standard with the sole aid of a small cloth mouse.

Yes I can imagine how that would work!! Just the sight of my hand straying towards my ball pocket sets Ollie off quivering with excitement. I don't even need to produce a ball!!

As C&D said, use whatever works. Make sure you keep the special toy, special though, by restricting the dog's access to it.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Same thing.
Kobi was pathetic at class last night.dancing around and playing with his leader.
Gets too exited seeing his dog friends.
Towards the end of the class he was calmer and got a few recalls from him.
Finished on a high.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
He only gets cheese for heelwork, we train him on the driveway/garage where it is very boring - this is offlead as when he's on lead he still ignores me in a very boring place.
He LOVES his rubber duck! So I could try that.

CAD, he heels sort of when we take him out with a ball and the thrower, but he kind of springs along too I think it's the excitement that causes this - so we hide the ball and thrower now.

My OH has him this week and has found he walks nicely - not heeling but not pulling, when he has a bone in his mouth (rawhide) but ofcourse he will drop it as soon as he needs the toilet then be more interested in other things - but it's a start. I think it's the lab in him, he loves to carry things. I'll sort something out, I'm a creative person so I can probably work my way around these things

Thanks for the help.
JazzMan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Dogs very quickly build associations that are not always apparent to us and then stick to them like gospel. Could it be that your dog has learnt to associate cheese specifically with heel training, so the cheese comes out and he knows what he is meant to be doing, but then he may also have a stronger association between being on the lead and heading off for a fun walk. So the lead comes out and seeing as that means play time, the cheese comes a poor second.

Just a theory, but if it is the case, it should prove easy to turn to your advantage. You know the behaviour you want (walking to heel on leash) and you know what your dog desires more than cheese, so all you have to do is to change the association between them. In order to this you may have to go back to the beginning and teach heel all over again with the lead.

Like I say, just a theory.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by JazzMan View Post
Dogs very quickly build associations that are not always apparent to us and then stick to them like gospel. Could it be that your dog has learnt to associate cheese specifically with heel training, so the cheese comes out and he knows what he is meant to be doing, but then he may also have a stronger association between being on the lead and heading off for a fun walk. So the lead comes out and seeing as that means play time, the cheese comes a poor second.

Just a theory, but if it is the case, it should prove easy to turn to your advantage. You know the behaviour you want (walking to heel on leash) and you know what your dog desires more than cheese, so all you have to do is to change the association between them. In order to this you may have to go back to the beginning and teach heel all over again with the lead.

Like I say, just a theory.
We dont have set leads for them, somedays he can go on Sadie's (pink) others he can have his, then he can be on Benjie's (whichever we pick up first)

I think he's retaliating, I've started using the Halti on him, now at 6 months he can pull me over if I'm not careful. He's much better without the other dogs around, but we only take out as many as we can handle (1 each) It is easier if I dont have Sadie with me at weekends.
I'll keep working with him and see if I can get some better work, if not I will be ordering one of thsoe dogmatic things - the halti's seem to rise into eyes a lot if I dont keep adjusting it.

Thanks for the advice