Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2010, 07:51 AM

House training problems with my puppy :(

Hello I could use some advise please!
I have an 11 week old staffy puppy I've had him 2 weeks now and he doesn't seem to begin to understand house training. My uncle and his girlfriends puppy Colin (katandcolin) used to sit at the living room door to let you know he needed to go out even when he was young. However with Milo he doesn't even give any warning we are in an apartment so I knew it would be harder but even after two weeks he's not made any improvement he's just got worse. He used to sniff as puppies do before going but now most of the time he just squats wherever he is and then carries on if I didn't watch him 100% of the time I'd be constantly cleaning it up but I always get to him before he does it.
But he's always been good in his crate and gone through the night but when he does need to go in the night he wakes me up and I take him out then he goes back to sleep. Well last night he didn't wake me up (he sleeps next to the bed and I'm a light sleeper) and I woke up this morning and he'd done a pop in his bed :/
And the other day before bed he'd done a wee outside and I put him in his crate for bed and he just did a wee there and then :/
Am I doing this wrong? When he does it outside I praise him and sometimes if I have them on me I give him a treat.and when he goes to squat inside I say a firm no and pick him up and take him outside.

I know it takes some puppies longer than others but he seems to be getting worse!
Any advice would be appreciated!!
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Sorry about spelling my iPhone auto spells things :/
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2010, 08:14 AM
He's just done another one in his bed without warning if I don't get this sorted soon OH will get rid of him
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Your puppy isn't born programmed to be toilet trained.

You need to watch him like a hawk & take him out every hour(unless he is asleep), everytime he wakes up, every time you feed him & anytime he looks like he is going to pee or poop. You have to take him out stay with him until he goes & then lavish praise when he goes. Also during the night set your alarm for just before he has woken you in the past & then get up & take him out. You can gradually put the alarm clock back until eventually he can go through the night.

Never say anything when he makes a mistake. Always have treats on you to reward good behaviour at this age

Have you not had a puppy before ?
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 08:21 AM
He is only 11 weeks old hun, some puppies can be trained within weeks some take months, (my Jamie took a week, my Deacon took 7 months!!) you have to be patient, ignore the bad, praise the good, watch like a hawk, outside every hour if needs be. Its like having a newborn baby, but its worth it in the end...
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 08:27 AM
I personally think you are expecting too much from him too soon,he is 11 weeks old,still very much a baby and he hasn't yet learnt what is expected from him.

Above advice is good,stay out he till performs,praise and reward.Even when he knows the correct place to go he may have the odd accident because puppies do not have any control until they are around 5/6 months old.

Toilet training can be frustrating,my meg was a nightmare,she was around 8/9 months before she was reliable.

Good luck,he will get there!
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I personally think you are expecting too much from him too soon,he is 11 weeks old,still very much a baby and he hasn't yet learnt what is expected from him.

Above advice is good,stay out he till performs,praise and reward.Even when he knows the correct place to go he may have the odd accident because puppies do not have any control until they are around 5/6 months old.

Toilet training can be frustrating,my meg was a nightmare,she was around 8/9 months before she was reliable.

Good luck,he will get there!
Hi, yes I agree with above, you are expecting too much at 11 wks. Our puppy is 15 wks and we are still having lots of accidents indoors even with watching him as much as poss. He has been clean overnight for the last couple of weeks and is only just starting to go to the kitchen door to ask to go out! Always put him out first thing when he wakes, after a mad play time and after he wakes up after a sleep and after feeding.
Shey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
Hello I could use some advise please!
I have an 11 week old staffy puppy I've had him 2 weeks now and he doesn't seem to begin to understand house training. My uncle and his girlfriends puppy Colin (katandcolin) used to sit at the living room door to let you know he needed to go out even when he was young. However with Milo he doesn't even give any warning we are in an apartment so I knew it would be harder but even after two weeks he's not made any improvement he's just got worse. He used to sniff as puppies do before going but now most of the time he just squats wherever he is and then carries on if I didn't watch him 100% of the time I'd be constantly cleaning it up but I always get to him before he does it.
But he's always been good in his crate and gone through the night but when he does need to go in the night he wakes me up and I take him out then he goes back to sleep. Well last night he didn't wake me up (he sleeps next to the bed and I'm a light sleeper) and I woke up this morning and he'd done a pop in his bed :/
And the other day before bed he'd done a wee outside and I put him in his crate for bed and he just did a wee there and then :/
Am I doing this wrong? When he does it outside I praise him and sometimes if I have them on me I give him a treat.and when he goes to squat inside I say a firm no and pick him up and take him outside.

I know it takes some puppies longer than others but he seems to be getting worse!
Any advice would be appreciated!!
we got our dogs at 6 weeks yes we shouldnt until 8 but the vet said that was fine but they were trained by about 8 weeks. Basically everytime they did something they would be told off and put outside straight away and told this is where they go every single time we did this its long and annoying but its the only way theyll learn if you do it everytime and watch your dog like a hawk and you will know when its going to do it and you grab quick and take him/her outside straight away in the end they will pick up thats where they go you have to have patience and be continious or itll never work
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Just realised how thick i sounded there sorry!!
I haven't owned a puppy myself before only family puppies and it was more regarding the fact he seems to be getting worse as in he didn't wake me up like usual last night but did a poop in his bed and has now done three poos and a wee in his bed today when he's never done this before =/

He rarely has an accident as im always watching him but today its when im not there he's been doing that in his bed and he's never done it in his bed before =/

Does this mean i should buy him a new bed as he now thinks its okay to go in that one?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
Just realised how thick i sounded there sorry!!
I haven't owned a puppy myself before only family puppies and it was more regarding the fact he seems to be getting worse as in he didn't wake me up like usual last night but did a poop in his bed and has now done three poos and a wee in his bed today when he's never done this before =/

He rarely has an accident as im always watching him but today its when im not there he's been doing that in his bed and he's never done it in his bed before =/

Does this mean i should buy him a new bed as he now thinks its okay to go in that one?
How long are you leaving him for ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >