View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks Sue, and oh yes, this place has open days, and when I went to the puppy party there, I was invited to go downstairs and view all the relevant operating rooms, but I declined the offer, because they had parvo dogs in there, and of course, I didn't want to risk infecting my new puppy did I!

On their website, they have a virtual tour, and I took a look around, and they have everything that you are describing, but that's because they are the RCVS Hospital, so they would have a lot more facilities than your average veterinary surgery, BUT, that doesn't mean to say their standards of hygeine are any better does it?! I strongly suspect, it's a case of the nurses not bothering to change the recovery room cages bedding, they just farm them in there and then move them on to the next phase. Afterall, as I said previously, this place sees hundreds of rescue dogs going through it, far more traffic than you would get anywhere else, and when I looked through my invoice, I noticed that the operating fee's were for 10 minutes???? That can't be right surely, a 10 min. op to do a big spey???!!! Holy Moly!!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-12-2009, 01:09 PM
I am glad to hear Zena is returning too normal.

I can just imagine dear old Georgie taking off in his new boots.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks Lynn, and you're right, he was soooooo funny when we first set off, he was definitely on a mission, he didn't even have time to stop for a poo this morning, I think he wanted to show everybody his brand new walking boots, but there was nobody around, it was too dark and wet!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 01:36 PM
That's great news. Perhaps it is something as annoying as a mouth ulcer or suchlike. A loose or chipped tooth? Sore throat?

I hope you get the vet sorted too. She shouldn't have come out in such a state for an op like that, surely.

I bet you are sick of the sight of the vets.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 01:43 PM
We both are Lucky, I'm loathe to take her back there for anything atm which is quite understandable, especially for them to look in her gob with the way she's been growling or barking at them lately, and I've popped that muzzle on her, can you imagine!!!!

When you look at her face from the front, the top lips either side seem swollen, and when I look and feel inside, there is a long lump, especially on her left side, so I'm wondering if it's got bruised with that tube they put in their throat? I don't think the throat is the problem here Lucky, it's more the flabby bits at the top either side of her nose, which hang down to the bottom jaw. She can eat a tripe stick no problem, but then when you think about it, she's using the very back of her mouth, same as she likes that kibble instead of a soft bit of chicken. I just gave her a morsel of my cabbage off my plate which she usually loves, she tried to eat it, and half of it dropped on the floor, and she does that now with a puppy markie, she can't eat it properly, it all crumbles on the floor before she's had a chance! I've gotta fathom this out I know, but I was rather hoping for some help from her body healing itself, but it's going on a bit now, so obviously I'm going to have to get it checked over. Gums still pink today though each time I look!!! Poor little thing, I just feel so desperately sorry for her when she's lying there looking at me, trying to tell me something's wrong, but at least the wound is good, she's been bouncy(ish) all morning, so what more can I wish for! I should have had kids Lucky!!!! xxx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
OMG H - I am so shocked that you had to take her back again. Here's me thinking you had it all sorted back in post 102!!

I am disgusted that a teaching hospital should give you your dogs back in such poor condition, that you felt like wretching. What the hell is that about? As you say, how could they possibly ensure wounds don't get infected if they don't even keep the animals clean whilst there? I, like you would be livid

Poor Zena - I am so pleased to hear her wound is now white and not angry looking any longer. I also want to say I really hope gorgeous Georgie feels better soon, poor soul, his paws must be so sore Great idea to get him boots

I certainly would be writing a complaint - it sounds to me like you should get your money back for some of the treatment. After all, if her wound hadn't got infected you wouldn't have had to take her back again

As for charging that for a Spay- OMG That sounds well overpriced to me!!
So sorry to have missed so my Helena I am very slack , I was thinking Zena would be all better by now, I can't get over your vets and can only add my disgust to everyone elses, poor Zena and poor you, this is another bladdy saga you don't need after all you have been through this year. Is there another vet you can go to I can't get over the conditions your dogs have been returned to you in and the lack of after care support is beyond belief and I would be writing a very factual letter and expect some sort of response from them, and if there is another vets to go to I would be changing.
There is surely some level of hygiene they must maintain and protocols to follow I am so upset for you and Zena. Biggest bladdy hugs to you, Zena and Georgie (glad the boots are a success).
Now when you are ready give them a good
Am going to be paying so much more attention to this thread you are a tough cookie Helena you are doing brilliantly for what has been a trying year to say the least
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Awww, what a lovely post Emma

Just dropped online for half an hour to catch up.

Very weird about her gums changing colour to Black, I really cannot imagine what could cause that? Good news that they are back to pink today though

By her reluctance to eat her food, it does seem to indicate a sore mouth I agree. Perhaps it is just a certain area of her mouth that is sore and that might explain why she can eat some things and not others - depending on which area of her mouth is chewing if that makes sense?

At least the wound looks healthier today, that is good news. I do hope she fully recovers soon H - what a flaming awful time you are having
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
So sorry to have missed so my Helena I am very slack , I was thinking Zena would be all better by now, I can't get over your vets and can only add my disgust to everyone elses, poor Zena and poor you, this is another bladdy saga you don't need after all you have been through this year. Is there another vet you can go to I can't get over the conditions your dogs have been returned to you in and the lack of after care support is beyond belief and I would be writing a very factual letter and expect some sort of response from them, and if there is another vets to go to I would be changing.
There is surely some level of hygiene they must maintain and protocols to follow I am so upset for you and Zena. Biggest bladdy hugs to you, Zena and Georgie (glad the boots are a success).
Now when you are ready give them a good
Am going to be paying so much more attention to this thread you are a tough cookie Helena you are doing brilliantly for what has been a trying year to say the least
Lol Emma, of course, as most peops on here know, when one of my threads goes on like this, it's the same old same old, bladdy rollercoaster ride up and down we go, and this is no different, nobody can be expected to keep up, not even me!!!! If you've ever read War & Peace, then you'll know what I'm on about!!!

Yeah, I've still got those guns fully loaded, and I've decided now that things are....... well, I'm NOT gonna say it......looking up shall we say, then I will prepare my letter this week-end, and I'm going to pop into the vets over the road to see if they'll take us on. I used to be with them, but the guy who owns it is Irish and a better vet you just couldn't get (he saved my previous dog's life after she ate poison)BUT he has no bedside manner whatsoever, treats all his clients like idiots, doesn't talk to them, but boy is he good with the dogs, and I think that's my wtg for the dog's benefit not my own, I'll just have to stick a piece of duck tape across my gob everytime I go in there, so I remember not to expect any kind of feedback off him!! There is a new young lady who works there I've heard, so of course, that's even better, Zena much prefers females! However, if I find out that the lady I saw this Monday at their OTHER branch is the permanent vet in there, then I might stick with them coz I really liked her and so did Zena, and she does all the ops there anyway, or so it seems, coz she had to see me inbetween operation coz the vet had gone home!

All seems pretty ok today, although not as good as I would have liked, but it's ok thanks! Such is (my) life!!! Thanks Emma.xxxx

Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Awww, what a lovely post Emma

Just dropped online for half an hour to catch up.

Very weird about her gums changing colour to Black, I really cannot imagine what could cause that? Good news that they are back to pink today though

By her reluctance to eat her food, it does seem to indicate a sore mouth I agree. Perhaps it is just a certain area of her mouth that is sore and that might explain why she can eat some things and not others - depending on which area of her mouth is chewing if that makes sense?

At least the wound looks healthier today, that is good news. I do hope she fully recovers soon H - what a flaming awful time you are having
You could be right AM, we know ourselves, with something like a mouth ulcer you couldn't touch a bag of crisps could you, and maybe that's why she does that little smell and taste test before giving it a go, and if it hurts the ulcer, then she's not touching it! I just put a handful of kibble in her big ball and she rolled it around and ate most of it, so things are looking up!!! Thanks AM, much appreciated.xxxx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Lol Emma, of course, as most peops on here know, when one of my threads goes on like this, it's the same old same old, bladdy rollercoaster ride up and down we go, and this is no different, nobody can be expected to keep up, not even me!!!! If you've ever read War & Peace, then you'll know what I'm on about!!!

Yeah, I've still got those guns fully loaded, and I've decided now that things are....... well, I'm NOT gonna say it......looking up shall we say, then I will prepare my letter this week-end, and I'm going to pop into the vets over the road to see if they'll take us on. I used to be with them, but the guy who owns it is Irish and a better vet you just couldn't get (he saved my previous dog's life after she ate poison)BUT he has no bedside manner whatsoever, treats all his clients like idiots, doesn't talk to them, but boy is he good with the dogs, and I think that's my wtg for the dog's benefit not my own, I'll just have to stick a piece of duck tape across my gob everytime I go in there, so I remember not to expect any kind of feedback off him!! There is a new young lady who works there I've heard, so of course, that's even better, Zena much prefers females! However, if I find out that the lady I saw this Monday at their OTHER branch is the permanent vet in there, then I might stick with them coz I really liked her and so did Zena, and she does all the ops there anyway, or so it seems, coz she had to see me inbetween operation coz the vet had gone home!

All seems pretty ok today, although not as good as I would have liked, but it's ok thanks! Such is (my) life!!! Thanks Emma.xxxx
Well as long as you can handle the roller coaster ride (they make me sick) it is still not nice when it is not a simple case and you seem to have your fair share of them
Sounds like the other vets might be a go, I have thesame prob here, the main vet is great but has no owner care factor at all, it is for the dogs/animals that come in and he is brilliant at his job, the lady I see there has a much better owner manner and I can deal with her a lot better, until she left on maternity leave for 3mths!!!!! (I did warn her I may end up knocking on the maternity doors to ask her a question yes I was joking............I think )
Ohhhhhh War and Peace did try to read it once got about 50pages in and thought the other gazillion pages were going to be too much for me, so a door stop it is.
Gaffer tape Brad has that on standby for me and needs to use it quite often all though he is training me to a certain stare of his that I am learning slowly is a 'shhhhh' look, not sure if it is me being stubborn or stupid that I can't quite get it down pat
I hope today still sees an improvement in Zena
BTW pics of Georgies boots are a must!!!!!!
Hugs to your lot
Emma
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks Claire, and I really must speak to you over the week-end, pity we can't meet up, but Zena isn't quite ready yet for anything boistrous, coz I really want to do this properly as you can imagine with my luck of late!!! I'll be in touch and you can tell me that horror story if ya like, I've prepared myself now!!!xxxx
helen i totally understand and it would be great to speak to you. i'm just so shocked at how events have unfolded for poor zena. thank goodness you are a strong person cos some would have completely fallen apart through this!! xxxx
Page 17 of 22 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »