Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 08:15 AM

Poor Rosie :-(

Rosie is absolutely terrified of the thunder, I've never seen her like this before. The storm is really bad here at the moment and given it out for most of the day. She's heard it before but never this bad.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 08:55 AM
poor wee Rosie. I guess all you can do is stay with her and try to reassure her untill it passes. Dogs hearing is way more acute than ours so God knows what is sounds like to them Hope she's o.k
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Had a bit of a lively night here too, poor old mollie hates it, we make her a covered den under the dining room table which calms her down a lot, Betty decided something was scaring Mollie so she had better bark at it ! Not sure what the neighbours thought of it all
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Well I am joining in on this because my Bella is completely petrified of the thunder. She has been panting, and generally trying to find somewhere anywhere to get away from it - since about 4 this morning. It has eased off here for now but due back. She is totally stressed so suggestions.
Have put the TV on in both kitchen/living room but don't think that's helping at all - mind you the thunder has been rolling and loud.
Not been over fussing her just acting normal - she is now under the kitchen table panting.
Poor dog and she was going okay just opened the back door to run out to the shed and she panicked (We know she was kept outside) which I imagine was a living nightmare for her with this thunder fear - or maybe that caused it.

So any suggestions....... No idea if she has always had this as you know she is a SBT rescue and 5 years old.

Although I think this bodes poorly for the fireworks.....
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Well I am joining in on this because my Bella is completely petrified of the thunder. She has been panting, and generally trying to find somewhere anywhere to get away from it - since about 4 this morning. It has eased off here for now but due back. She is totally stressed so suggestions.
Have put the TV on in both kitchen/living room but don't think that's helping at all - mind you the thunder has been rolling and loud.
Not been over fussing her just acting normal - she is now under the kitchen table panting.
Poor dog and she was going okay just opened the back door to run out to the shed and she panicked (We know she was kept outside) which I imagine was a living nightmare for her with this thunder fear - or maybe that caused it.

So any suggestions....... No idea if she has always had this as you know she is a SBT rescue and 5 years old.

Although I think this bodes poorly for the fireworks.....
Dreading a thunderstorm here Kazz, Lacey is a nightmare, with fireworks too. Guess you can only try and distract them,reassure them and stay close untill it passes. Feel sorry for them, sure must sound loud!!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I did think we may have an issue with fireworks as she takes notice of backfiring cars and those loud motor bikes when out but nothing more than looking I mean we walk by train tracks at the back of us and live close but not under the flight path for B'ham airport too. That does not fuss her at all. Nor drilling.....maybe fireworks won't but I think they will.

Never thought of thunder as an issue.

I know different now though.

She appears happier when everyone is awake sadly being awake at 4am in the morning. is not acceptable unless I am at work.

Hmm may pop to PAH and get some Serene-um stuff odd I looked at that yesterday in prep for fireworks but never did anymore than look at it. In fact off I go.

She did not whine - cry - scratch - bark - howl - dig nothing but paces then settle in weird yet with thinking about it dark places behind the chair in living room. She likes the WC - could not risk the bathroom as the shower is glass and did not know how she would react with all the pacing etc.

She did not like under the bed but kitchen table seems okay to her.

Well at least we know now and will adapt accordingly - and she will NOT be put outside to deal with the fear herself.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Dreading a thunderstorm here Kazz, Lacey is a nightmare, with fireworks too. Guess you can only try and distract them,reassure them and stay close untill it passes. Feel sorry for them, sure must sound loud!!
It must sound loud it does to me. Do you find anything works for Lacey? have you tried the Serene-um sort of thing?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 10:15 AM
I find Mollie is better if she has a dark den to go into, a blanket over the dining table works well here. I put some blankets in there and she lays down and sleeps through the worst of it.

Can't get her out once she is in there until it's all over as she will panic.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Rosie been shaking and stressing all morning. It's passed for now so she's sleeping. It's giving out more this afternoon
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
It must sound loud it does to me. Do you find anything works for Lacey? have you tried the Serene-um sort of thing?
Never tried it Kazz,don't feel the need because am at home with her all day and as long as I'm close I know she's ok.Maybe something worth looking into for you though,awful thing to watch them stressing like that
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >