Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-05-2011, 11:21 AM

A Trainer Deals with an Aggressive Dog

http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/art...-thunder/15128

Interesting article.ALL positive methods!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Oooh he has a book: http://www.steveduno.com/ (if the links removed just google Steve Duno!!

might be worth a read?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 11:39 AM
yup v interesting I liked it
although I cant imagine ever putting Ben in that situation although he is great at reading dogs
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Interesting read !
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
yup v interesting I liked it
although I cant imagine ever putting Ben in that situation although he is great at reading dogs
Yup, Kiki's helping Cain as she seems to have a good grasp on how much to tell him off but I wouldn't be happy in that situation. What if the Bullmastiff had caught up with the other dog? I dread to think what might have happened.
I'm not sure I would call it all positive training too. It may not be shock collars and water pistols but I'm not too keen on the idea of depriving the dog of company as a training method - seems it worked but I wouldn't call it a positive method. Wouldn't call the interaction between the dog and the stooge dog that positive either Seems to be based a lot on pushing the dog to/beyond its limits until it caves in, rather than finding that limit and slowly work on improving that limit. Letting the dog cosntantly react to his presence at the kennel, letting him chase the stooge dog until exhaustion, the "double-leashing" method where the dog is reacting but just physically prevented from hurting the handler, and so on.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-05-2011, 12:43 PM
What if the Bullmastiff had caught up with the other dog? I dread to think what might have happened.

It was a safe bet,the trainer knew what Lou could do and he knew his dog was safe.

I'm not sure I would call it all positive training too. It may not be shock collars and water pistols but I'm not too keen on the idea of depriving the dog of company as a training method - seems it worked but I wouldn't call it a positive method.

It's what pack animals do to a member who misbehaves when violence isn't appropriate.I've seen it many times with horses,they drive the miscreant out until he learns to behave.The mastiff wasn't made to suffer,he had to learn that company was a good thing and was given that company for long periods but in a controlled way.

Wouldn't call the interaction between the dog and the stooge dog that positive either

Why not?They ended up friends and no one got hurt.

Seems to be based a lot on pushing the dog to/beyond its limits until it caves in, rather than finding that limit and slowly work on improving that limit.

How exactly?That was the point,this dog had a very short fuse on his limit - he was thoroughly dangerous to both people and animals.

Letting the dog cosntantly react to his presence at the kennel,

'LETTING HIM?That's just silly,there was no way of stopping him 'reacting!

letting him chase the stooge dog until exhaustion,

Letting him yes,forcing him no.It was up to the mastiff when he wanted to stop.

the "double-leashing" method where the dog is reacting but just physically prevented from hurting the handler,

Only safe way - even with the muzzle that dog could do damage AND learn that it was okay to attack his handler!

Have you any suggestions on how it could be done better in that situation and with a dog like that bull mastiff?
It's easier to put down a method than to offer a CONSTRUCTIVE view on how it SHOULD be done.
I would genuinely be interested to hear alternatives to this man's training methods.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 12:48 PM
If I had the answers then I wouldn't be sitting here in an accounts office, I'd be out earning a living as a behaviourist. Just giving my opinion on it, I'm not saying it's the worst I've seen, I'm not denying that it doesn't appear to have worked and saved a dog from euthanasia, I just don't think it's 100% positive.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Yup, Kiki's helping Cain as she seems to have a good grasp on how much to tell him off but I wouldn't be happy in that situation. What if the Bullmastiff had caught up with the other dog? I dread to think what might have happened.
I'm not sure I would call it all positive training too. It may not be shock collars and water pistols but I'm not too keen on the idea of depriving the dog of company as a training method - seems it worked but I wouldn't call it a positive method. Wouldn't call the interaction between the dog and the stooge dog that positive either Seems to be based a lot on pushing the dog to/beyond its limits until it caves in, rather than finding that limit and slowly work on improving that limit. Letting the dog cosntantly react to his presence at the kennel, letting him chase the stooge dog until exhaustion, the "double-leashing" method where the dog is reacting but just physically prevented from hurting the handler, and so on.
I agree. I didn't see it any more positive than when CM muzzles a DA dog and walks it through 50 dogs.

Plus the bit about jealously - I have to combat this everyday and the way I do it is fuss Louie - then Sadie and if Louie tries to muscle in - I take his collar, put him in his bed and say "Sadie's turn" in a happy voice - this gives me a good 10 minutes fussing time with Sadie and the same with Benjie. I wouldn't tie my dog up and get him all geared up from jealously - dangerous practice in my eyes.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
If I had the answers then I wouldn't be sitting here in an accounts office, I'd be out earning a living as a behaviourist. Just giving my opinion on it, I'm not saying it's the worst I've seen, I'm not denying that it doesn't appear to have worked and saved a dog from euthanasia, I just don't think it's 100% positive.
I wasnt thinking of the dog reacting when he was near the run, true not the best, I was imagining him sitting reading at a far enough distance that the dog was still calm - but I think you are right

I sorta agree with the keeping him seperate from people and dogs for a while - but that would be to get him to chill out and realise nothing bad was going to happen
If I was in the situation (hope I never am) then I think something similar would be the best aproach, slowly getting him used to you as a nice thing
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I wasnt thinking of the dog reacting when he was near the run, true not the best, I was imagining him sitting reading at a far enough distance that the dog was still calm - but I think you are right

I sorta agree with the keeping him seperate from people and dogs for a while - but that would be to get him to chill out and realise nothing bad was going to happen
If I was in the situation (hope I never am) then I think something similar would be the best aproach, slowly getting him used to you as a nice thing
Yup, I think some aspects of the method were good but I have a reactive dog and I know he cannot concentrate when he is in that reactive state and everything I've read about positive methods for reactive dogs is all about finding their threshold and not crossing it. Keep the dog isolated to reduce the stress in his life (constant reactions won't help) but when you reintroduce the stressors, do it at the dogs pace rather than overwhelming him until he finally stops reacting. The trainer seemed to take a "like it or lump it" approach which fortunately seemed to work in this case but whether it will achieve a permanent fix or whether it had the potential to worsen the issues, I'm not sure, but it goes against everything I've read on reactive dogs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >