Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Small wound on face

Murphy has a small wound on his face, caused, I think by a bit of rough play between him and Max...

It's about the size of a couple of grains of rice on his cheek (nowhere near his eye or mouth though) and looks like a shallow puncture wound.

I've cleaned it up and had a look and it's not sore or swollen. He doesn't care if I poke or prod it.

It seems to have scabbed over nicely (large scab, as there is lots of fur in the area) and isn't bothering him.

I don't propose to take him to the vet unless it gets sore/inflamed etc. mainly as I'm fairly sure they'll charge me £30, give him an AB shot and send us home.

However, my only concern is that Max keeps licking it (and Murphy lets him). I've told him no/leave it; but the blood/scab smell (yuk!) must be nice to him! What can I do to stop him licking it??
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 01:33 PM
I personally would leave him to lick it as dogs saliva is an incredible anticeptic, so he is probably helping out.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I'd agree, though it is more likely to scar if he keeps licking it, it is less likely to get infected.. jackjack used to do this when any of them got hurt, we called him "Dr Jack".
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2009, 03:31 PM
i also agree,licking will heal the cut faster and is good for the dog unless there is an infection....
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I agree too....... Hope it's fully healed soon, Shelley x0x
alfmar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2009, 04:49 PM
let him get on with it....... hope it heals up nicely