Our sister sites
Our sister sites
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-10-2010, 09:59 PM

How to Adapt Dog from Garden to Indoor living

Hi Everybody

I have recently went through a divorce process and now the time has come for me to move to a new home.

My dog a 2.5-3 year old Lab has always lived in the garden. Our daughters having allergies it wasnt possible for us to keep him inside. But now since I will be living alone I would like to keep him inside my new home. How should I make this transition? Anything I should watch out for?

Since he hasnt lived in a house I cant really make out how he will react.

Should I keep him in the garden and make the transition into the house gradually or just directly put him into the house?

How to introduce him to the new house? Will he pee to amrk his area? Can I prevent this (if at all)

Any ideas,pointers experiences more than welcome !
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 10:14 PM
When I got my dog at three and a half years old he had been kept kenneled outside but brought in and crated at night.
He has never had an accident in the house and is entire.
I made sure he had lots of toilet breaks and crated at night for a couple of days until I was confident he wouldn't mess/chew.
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks!

I am thinking of taking him to the new house 1-2 days before I move so that he can smell the place and will not be a total stranger to the place.
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2010, 05:27 AM
Anything else? Please Help!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 06:05 AM
When I got my rescue greyhound he had always lived outside in kennels. As with all retired greyhounds going from kennel life to home life, they are just moved straight in.
My boy and most find indoor noises a bit scary, like the tv, hoover and washing machine etc but he soon (within a few days) got used to it and settled very very quickly.
I gave him a nice comfy big bed in the living room with us so he could sprawl out and feel relaxed and lots of fuss and attention.
He has never marked in the house and been very clean, although I did always give him lots of toilet breaks in the beginning.
We have had him a year now and he is so happy being indoors with us and all the companionship, he actually gets worried I will give him back and he will have to go back to kennel life again.
I think it will be lovely for your lad and your bond together will grow very very strong.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
THe foster husky i had was 1ish and been kept in the garden as a guard dog,she as madmare said above was a bit wary of our telly, vacuum etc but soon got used to things she would take herself off into the garden sometimes and sleep on the patio,i thought she was going to be a problem with the crate at night i was wrong she settled in it happily toilet training wasn't the easiest but she got it within a month and never messed in her crate. At least your dog has the benefit of already being your dog and has bonded with you i'm sure he'll be fine and great company for you,Sending you positive vibes!
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks! Lets see how it will turn out. I will post an update after a couple of weeks from this Friday on our progress.