Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kalima62
New Member!
Female 

18-05-2008, 05:10 PM

My old dog wants to die!!

Kelly, my 15 year mongrel, knows its come her time and wants to give up with life...

She has lead a wonderful life, spoilt, loved and pampered, but now, nearly blind and with all her health problems, that she has wonderfully coped with for so long and accepted ( poor love ).... 3 legged, arthrosis, broken front paw, glaucoma and loss of one eye and now the vision of the other!!) is too much for he!
When she was young..till 2/3 years back, she was a devil, running about, playing and barking. at cats..uncontrolable at times. She is refusing any food what so ever, even her favourite tit-bits limiting herself to drink plenty of water, and isn't interested in anything.
It's now 10 days. I took her to the vet and after he visited her, he pulled up his shoulders and said she is letting her self go because she's so tired and depressed, he did her a flebo to pull her up and some injections to boost her up, bit she still refuses to eat. Isn't it strange how dogs know when it's time to go? I know what you're all thinking...and it would be the kindest thing for her...but it's such a difficult decision!!
I've heard about dogs going away from home to die...my little kelly, 10 days ago was doing just this when my sister noticed her on a country lane far away from home and brought her to me ( she would of never wandered off too far, anyway not in that condition, nearly blind!!) But it's from that day that she started starvng herself!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-05-2008, 05:19 PM
So sorry.xxxxxxx
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 05:21 PM
awww so sorry

Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Oh I'm so sorry. Your post made me cry. Regardless of what we are all thinking, you have to do whats right and you will.

She's had a fantastic life like you say and perhaps it's time to do one last thing for her?

I don't envy you at all and my heart goes out to you. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

18-05-2008, 05:30 PM
So very sorry. I am sure you will do the right thing for her. I know how difficult it is but it the one last thing we can do for our beloved pets. They have given us so much and the time has come for us to give them kind release.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Thinking of you both..
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Im so deeply sorry , Pets just seem to know when its time to return to gods garden hun , You will do what is right for Kelly , Its a very difficult situation for you to be in but in your heart you know whats best and will say your farewells when you are ready xxdk
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Putting our beloved dogs down is the last act of kindness we can do for them. Read your post. Think of what you would advise if it was coming from someone else. Your girl needs to go, WANTS to go in your own words, and yet you're keeping her hanging on? For what? It's doing HER no good and it's HER that matters most. You can deal with the grief afterwards.

Make the decision, as hard as it is, and show her how much you love her.

Debs
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I felt so sad reading that.

As dog owners, we've all been there before and will be there again but it doesn't make it any easier.

It's good that you understand the dog comes first.

Keep us posted and good luck with whatever you do.
myshell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2008, 05:41 PM
How sad, so sorry for you at this difficult time.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm hoping she'll pass over peacefully in her sleep, and yes, somehow they do know when they've had enough, they can give up. My husbands old corgi one day, just went outside and laid in the middle of the back garden, she wouldn't come in, no matter how much they called her, and she just died peacefully there on her own Having said that, she was a dog who was not ill or in pain, and sometimes, when they're in pain we can just help them on their way. I had this terrible choice to make last July with my beloved old girl, I knew she was going to leave me anyway, because she had cancer, but I also knew it was time to step in myself and help her on her way, because I just couldn't bear the thought of letting her go in pain, on her own, no vet to put her out of her misery, so I just had to take over before that time came. Sad as it is, when you think about it, you're sadly going to lose her anyway, she's only hanging on for you, to stay with you, when she can't, her body won't let her and I hope you'll know when it's time to take over so that you don't have to see her suffering. I'm so sorry her time is near, just cherish every last moment, and I really hope she goes peacefully in her sleep when she's ready coz some just do that.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >