View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Louise, thanks for filling us in with the background.

From what you've said, it sounds to me like Domino had got used to not only making the decisions about who/what may be a threat, but also how to 'deal' with the threat. I can totally understand how living where you did previously you wouldn't have seen this behaviour as a bad thing.

The good news is that most collies are eager to please and quick to learn and once she understands that this behaviour is unacceptable, I have every hope that you will get her sorted.

I'm not sure how you treat her at home etc, but I do agree with Stephanie's NILIF ethos, at least until you are happy that she accepts that what you say goes.

Re the muzzle, (wich hopefully will only be a temporary thing) and not being able to play ball - why not try games like hide and seek. Assuming that you can find somewhere that has trees and or bushes etc, you can get her to find things you hide. If you and your OH both go, you can take it in turns to hide yourself and she has to find you, or you can take an object for her to find. As soon as she finds it, she gets a treat. This sort of game really makes their minds work and also helps reinforce other commands (e.g. making her stay until you've gone and hidden the object).

If you do play this game with an object, as she won't be able to pick it up, I would suggest you do not use a toy or something of hers. Instead, take something she wouldn't normally be allowed anyway and that smells of you (but nothing expensive in case you loose it!). My Hoki knows the difference between 'find it' (something she is to find and pick up) and 'show me' (something she is to find but wait by for a reward).

Good luck, I'm sure with Shona's help you'll get there.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:56 PM
link to new thread for domino http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...98#post1346598
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 05:33 PM
i havent time to read the whole thread yet, but my two penance is "physical" exercise isnt Everything, Mentally happy is more tiring & moire important. Dogs really need walking in Areas that strecth their minds, noses ears,sight & doggy desires. Walking a manic Badley behaved dog for hopurs with positive imput will just result in a FITTER badley behaved lunatic.

Too many people think their dogs HAVE to have routine, have to walk at X Oclock, I think dogs that have a "differing" routine,settle better.

Food defintally does make a difference!!!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
i havent time to read the whole thread yet, but my two penance is "physical" exercise isnt Everything, Mentally happy is more tiring & moire important. Dogs really need walking in Areas that strecth their minds, noses ears,sight & doggy desires. Walking a manic Badley behaved dog for hopurs with positive imput will just result in a FITTER badley behaved lunatic.

Too many people think their dogs HAVE to have routine, have to walk at X Oclock, I think dogs that have a "differing" routine,settle better.

Food defintally does make a difference!!!!
You beat me to it - I was about to say that!!

People I know are having problems with a collie pup - but of course they wont take advice from me!!
many expensive behaviourists and they changed away from Bakers (fantastic) but then they were walking the dog a huge amount
I am talking that before they went to work they drove the dog to a park and let it run around for an hour, then long walk at lunchtime, run around in the garden after work and running with the owners who train for marathons
basically all they were doing was training the dog to be a super fit crazy dog
All the training with the dog was really telling it off for things it was doing wrong - no praise not trick training (BTW by tricks I mean any training - 'heel' to a dog is just as much a trick as walking on its hind legs)
The garden looks like fort knox with the uber high fences to stop the car chasing
barking was (not) sorted with spray collers

But then I got them interested in agility and the dog is so much better - she is interacting with them in a way that uses her mind and involves them being happy with her and praising her
So now she is bonding well with them, and as a result becoming calmer and more obedient

In my mind I think the best thing you can do is give it enough exercise - but spend time with it training it - giving it jobs to do and letting it know that it is the best dog in the world and you are v happy when it does things for you
That way you have a happy, fit dog who wants to do things for you - you are the most important thing in its world

Also I am the only one whos dog gets more and more hyper the more it exercises?? I do give ben regular walks - most of them off lead, and lots of training
But if I want a calm dog when I have to be out for a while then a short walk and few tricks is the way to go
When we go for a longer walk the more we walk the more wound up he becomes
A walk with my friends 3 collies and they were flagging after 3 hours - Ben was so full of beans he was running in circles round them trying to get them to run! Long walks are only for days I am home else he would become distructive
ace
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I agree that exercise has a big infuence on a dogs behaviour.
I have a 2 1/2 year old dobermann who needs a fair amount of free running each day. Until recently he was getting 3 walks a day, usually 2 off lead & 1 on lead road walking. He was a pretty chilled out dog who would sleep most of the day.

Now I am currently 8 months pregnant (with twins!), and am suffering with severe pelvic pain, which means I can hardly walk most days. I struggle to walk Ace once a day at the moment, and some days he doesn't get out at all. When I do walk him we don't go very far, although he still has a good run around for 20-30 mins- while I just shuffle along like an old woman!
He does have access to the garden all day, and spends alot of time out there. I also try to make time to play ball or something with him, or give him meals in an activity ball to keep him busy for a while.

He is being very good considering the lack of exercise, but he is definitely not as chilled as he used to be. He doesn't sleep or relax as much as he did, and constantly wants to know what is going on & be involved in everything. On walks he is manic, and his recall can be appalling alot of the time.
I do feel guilty not being able to give him what he needs, but I know my situation will not be like this for too much longer, and he will go back to having proper walks again.
covkimbo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I reckon many dogs will take as much as exercise as you can give them! My Springer has 3 walks - off lead- a day and always has since a pup. We're lucky to have woods and fields close by.He's always been a sociable chap with people and other dogs.Mt friend's Jack Russell is another story. He's only 18m old, but because of his "puppylike" behaviour ie jumping around and generally being a bit bonkers he is always on the lead. If only she would relax a bit and let him off - in a safe place where he can really run I'm sure a lot of his behaviour would stop and he'd be a nicer boy to know!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6