View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Hammer- i think it would be great if you could give your viewpoint of someone whose gone through this. I look forward to reading the article
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Know this is a really, really old thread...But, yesterday I reserved 'The Dog Listener' by Jan Fennell at my local library (two miles away, it's pouring with rain, gale force winds and I have to walk over there!!). Should I bother walking over to get it? From what I've read on here, not many people were impressed by Jan Fennell back in 2007 and I'm sure most of you who replied haven't changed thier minds over the years.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2010, 10:14 AM
I'd wait till it stops raining to go and get it. I read it not too long ago and it's not worth getting soaked to the skin for imo.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I had an "Amichien" consultation with one of JF's gurus.

She basically told me the problem was with my other dog (!) Parker as he considered himself pack leader. We don't have problems with Parker other than that he is territorial (which is a breed thing-some Kerries are like this) and does a loud wuffy thing any time there is someone near the house. She told me to give him time out in the downstairs toilet when he did this. The trouble was I would do this and then forget about him and he would still be in the "naughty spot" when my husband got home from work! Jamie said "Why isn't he toilet trained-he spends so long in there!"

With Cherry I had to ignore her when I came home from work-I felt really cruel as I love the way she jumps up all happy and smiling at you. She wasn't allowed to be walked for a week-even crueler as she loves her hour to an hour and a half of exercise a day.

I have to say she did improve however with her dog reactivity. A lady I meet with a JRT x round the corner commented "What have you done with Cherry? She is a completely different dog!" and Cherry would happily go up and sniff her dog which I couldn't let her do before. At least hearing that comment made me feel it wasn't a complete waste of money. My husband thought it was a waste of money though.

I think they should advise you to get the dog checked out by a vet as we found out recently that Cherry has had entropion for some time (painful ingrowing eyelashes) and my friends who are trainers think that was a lot to do with her not liking dogs in "her" space.

Jamie bought me the book called "The 100 silliest things people tell you about dogs" by Alexander Semynova which debunks JF's theories. I found it very helpful and readable.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I've read a couple of Jan Fennell's books and cant say I agreed with alot she had to say. I think her methods are outdated now.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't get the book, but looking at the reviews on Amazon, most people recommended getting this book instead: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culture-Clas...5957968&sr=1-1

Certainly sounds better than the Jan Fennell one.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Oh, well done!
The Culture Clash is a brilliant book.... top of most people's list of recommendations (including mine! )
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2010, 06:47 AM
The Jan Fennell book is certainly usefull as somethig to start a fire with after your soaking in the rain.

The Culture clash is an excellent book indeed! a MUCH better choice.
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8