Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Simbas bitten again :(

Dont know if you remember me saying that Simba bit Dan [my OH] a few months ago...well last night he did again.

To be honest it was probably our fault..me and OH were play fighting and I ran in the kitchen, OH followed and grabbed me so I screamed and Simba came flying into the kitchen and bit Dans back..it was really horrid.

Made Dan feel really faint so I cleaned it and put savlon on.
Hes up to date with tetanus.

Simba is very protective of me.

You can see the teeth marks

Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 02:41 PM
...thats a nip not a bite but ur poor o/h

... was it a bc? really imo it was your fault(sorry)...sounds more like your dog was hyped rather that protecting you.
.....do you channel his instincts at all?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Your dog is not protecting you just over aroused and doing what its instincts tell it to do if things need to be "managed" BCs will nip.

Cannot view pictures, but this behaviour is unacceptable, so either desensitise dog to this behaviour or don't behave like this around the dog.

This gives you a clue to what the dog would do when ini other situations it is unhappy about.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
...thats a nip not a bite but ur poor o/h

... was it a bc? really imo it was your fault(sorry)...sounds more like your dog was hyped rather that protecting you.
.....do you channel his instincts at all?
sorry a nip

yes it was my blue merle.
thing is dog was in another room, usually we wont play fight in front of simba because this kind of thing has happened before so we try to be really carfull about it.
What do you mean 'channel his instincts'?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 03:22 PM
My kids were forbidden to play fight in front of the dogs because dogs don`t understand. When they forgot the rule someone invariably had his backside nipped and tbh it was his own fault.
You could try teaching the dog to respond when he`s excited? In the norty dog club we did agility to get the dogs all excited and running about then got them used to responding to commands in that state.
Maybe start with fun games then a down? With Daisy I do this a lot as she needs to be controllable when aroused. Luckily she`s very ball-oriented so I can combine the play and reward easily.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Wow I'm lucky Sadie and Benjie just bark and Louie jumps!

Agility may be good for him or flyball - I think you ought to get Flint into flyball for sure. But agility for Simba!

Poor Dan.

P.S tell him he's a wimp - I've had worse bites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My kids were forbidden to play fight in front of the dogs because dogs don`t understand. When they forgot the rule someone invariably had his backside nipped and tbh it was his own fault.
You could try teaching the dog to respond when he`s excited? In the norty dog club we did agility to get the dogs all excited and running about then got them used to responding to commands in that state.
Maybe start with fun games then a down? With Daisy I do this a lot as she needs to be controllable when aroused. Luckily she`s very ball-oriented so I can combine the play and reward easily.
Sorry for sounding dim but how would I do this? Like start playing with him, get him all hyper then ask him to sit/ down?
How would this help him? Would I have to use toys to get him hyper ?
Sorry to sound thick lol
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Wow I'm lucky Sadie and Benjie just bark and Louie jumps!

Agility may be good for him or flyball - I think you ought to get Flint into flyball for sure. But agility for Simba!

Poor Dan.

P.S tell him he's a wimp - I've had worse bites
I would like to do things like this but I wouldnt know where to start..wher they would be and what they need to be able to do before they can join?
Im quite nervous in new situations so would be a bit unsure about joining a club for example when I dont know what it involves
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
I would like to do things like this but I wouldnt know where to start..wher they would be and what they need to be able to do before they can join?
Im quite nervous in new situations so would be a bit unsure about joining a club for example when I dont know what it involves
Oh and another one - sheep herding.

Have a look on the web and type in your home town and something like: "Sheep herding/flyball/agility classes in Nottingham" for example.

Or if you cannot afford it, a broomstick and two garden chairs makes a good jump, a spare tyre with no middle on bricks also makes a good jump, you can make your own agility course, you can also get children's play tunnels as well and make shoots for them. I weave Sadie through bollards near our local park, I also jump her over fallen trees. Get creative - you don't have to join somewhere - you can do it in your back garden or in the park. Although a club may help him with his issues with other dogs. And I'm not sure where you get a flyball machine from
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Sorry for sounding dim but how would I do this? Like start playing with him, get him all hyper then ask him to sit/ down?
How would this help him? Would I have to use toys to get him hyper ?
I play with a ball with daisy and tease her with it till her full attention is on it. Then I ask for a sit or something. She sits, I throw her the ball. So while she`s aroused she is also responsive.
When training my GSP we used tuggy toys to wind them up to make them keen. But that was also combined with training. So when they retrieved the toy, they got an exciting game with it then a Drop then another game. The object being to channel the dog`s energy so they used their drives in a good way. That could be what tupacs meant?
I don`t know if it`ll stop her grabbing your hubby but at least you`ll be able to call her off.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >