Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Homeless people and their dogs

After reading on another thread and seeing the comments, I would like to know what your thoughts are on homeless people having dogs.

I don't think it's an issue, they are entitled to own an animal, just like any of us.

So what's your view?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 11:41 AM
..i think some of these dogs have far more quality time with their 2legs than our so called pampered pooches
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
..i think some of these dogs have far more quality time with their 2legs than our so called pampered pooches
Too right!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 11:56 AM
I see a man with a collie most days, the collie loves him, has her own little coat, and is a good little girl, I would think though that a lot of homeless people's dogs have less behavioural problems then some people's dogs that live in homes as they are out and about well a lot, they are with their owner, they are kept stimulated with different scents and smells, are socailised with a lot of different things, and their owners never have to find time to get them out for a walk . It can be tough in the winter months, but tbh whenever I see a homeless person and their dog, the dog is in better condition then them, for many a pet on the streets is probally the only thing stopping them going insane, and keeping them going, for many they are probally their best friend, someone whose always there, doesn't betray them and never judges, and I would suspect that if anything does go wrong, whatever your thoughts on relying on a charity, someone will step up and help, and a few dogs were probally ones that were abondand and the person found aswell, but is a human and a dog having company really a bad thing, because although to some it may not look nice, dogs that belong to the homeless and are also out in the public eye a lot probally have a better life then some dogs that are kept hidden and don't have that same love and companionship that a homeless dog has, all anyone can ever be is the best owner that they can, and I believe that most homeless people are trying to do that, it doesn't matter that they don't have a home.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 12:07 PM
This may sound a bit obvious but...
homeless people are only people who don`t have anywhere to live at this time. They could be nice, nasty, wise or ignorant.
Becoming homeless doesn`t suddenly make you a different person.
If people are concerned about homeless people and their dogs, I`m sure the charities and agencies would welcome volunteers or donations.
Or are talking about `street people` here? Alcoholics, junkies and the mentally ill?
In which case, yes, they probably do need support at times.
Borderpower
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
X 3 I agree
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I've seen some very well cared for and obviously loved dogs belonging to the homeless. One man has a mastiff which he uses a halti for, thr dog lays beside him on a big mound of blankets and a proper dog coat to keep him warm

what I was thinking thr other day is how on earth do they get such well behaved dogs? I'm mean I know they spend a lot of time together and are bonded, but I have a close bond with Cain. However if I let him off lead in the middle of the street, I wouldn't see him for dust, he'd be careering up and down the road causing accidents! Yet all their dogs seem to just hang out obediently by there feet?! No fair!!!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2011, 01:19 PM
I think dogs that live with homeless people have a great life. I'd rather be homeless with a dog than in rented accommodation that did not allow them.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I've seen some very well cared for and obviously loved dogs belonging to the homeless. One man has a mastiff which he uses a halti for, thr dog lays beside him on a big mound of blankets and a proper dog coat to keep him warm

what I was thinking thr other day is how on earth do they get such well behaved dogs? I'm mean I know they spend a lot of time together and are bonded, but I have a close bond with Cain. However if I let him off lead in the middle of the street, I wouldn't see him for dust, he'd be careering up and down the road causing accidents! Yet all their dogs seem to just hang out obediently by there feet?! No fair!!!
I know what you meen, they are always so well behaved.

I dont often see any homless (SDF, in french) as I am right out in the countryside but when I go into Caen there are a few that have dogs there and the dogs always look well fed, happy and healthy. I dont know about in the UK but here there is free vet care for the SDFdogs and also somewhere where the owners can go and get food for the dog if they have none.

I remember when I lived in the UK (Brighton) there was an old bag lady that had a cat, the cat stayed with her all the time in the winter she was offered accomodation but they wouldnt take the cat............. so she stayed on the street.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Whilst I agree that the majority of homeless people care and love their dogs, some have dogs to avoid being arrested for begging, as if the police arrest a homeless person with a dog they have an obligation to provide shelter for the dog also.

However I do truelly feel for those in this situation through no fault of their own, and some certainly seem to provide for the dog more than they provide for themselves.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >