Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 08:54 AM

A Stupid question.

I appologize outright for my ignorance, but, I've never had to use a harness before so I'm not sure.

Moxie has just been diagnosed with severe Spondylosis in several areas, but its worse in her neck. I've always walked her on a flat collar, and she doesn't pull at all, but, have been advised to switch her onto a harness.

So, Moxie wears her collar all the time, in the house and out. Do you leave a harness on your dog like that, or do you take it off? I would think she would be uncomfortable wearing it all the time, so would just take it off and on as needed, but not sure if thats the "done" thing or not.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:05 AM
harness comeon & off. theres no way id leave on on all the time. If the harness design is suitable i do leave them on for off lead walks though
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Perfectly good question - how else do we learn if we don't ask

Unless you've been specifically advised by a vet to leave a harness on for some reason, then you can take it off when not out walking.

If for any reason your dog doesn't seem to take to the harness when you first put it on, then it can be helpful to let him wear it for a short while around the house prior to the walk, just to let him get a feel for it.

Good luck
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Now I take it off when we get home (he'll jump his feet out helpfully to get it off), I have left it on in the past when we were first introducing him to the cat as I liked having the reassurance there was something to grab onto if he DID lunge at her.

Of course he tries to "help" getting it on too... puts one paw in, turns to look at you for your approval at how clever he is, removing his other paw from the hole in the progress!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2011, 09:37 AM
I always take Ollie's harness off.

The only time it was left on was when he was hospitalised and he needed help with rising. It was easier for them to leave it on but his is a soft harness and has a handle on it and it is not uncomfortable if he needs to wear it all the time.

When he came home he still needed help rising but we use to take it off each time as it was only him we were dealing with where as the hospital had lots of other patients so they did not really have the time to faff about.

I would say take it off when you return from your walk.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Moxie.

Harnesses are just on for walking here. Come off when we are about at home.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Walks/exercise only, would never leave on.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks! Thats what I was thinking but wasn't certain. Anyone have a favorite harness style? I'm looking for comfort primarily as pulling isn't an issue.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:57 AM
I know you are in the states, but i find these harnesses great and really comfortable for the dogs...http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I have a fleece lined harness for Axel, I find it's more comfortable as it won't rub.
Sorry to hear about Moxie Hope having a harness helps I leave it on for short periods if needed, but wouldn't leave it on all the time.