Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post

Nope. Don't have a double standard. But I notice you have no issues with judging others yet get all angry if someone dare judge you.
I resented your telling me I was being unkind to my own dog and using a trainer who was terrible - when you've never so much as met any of us. I was not angry - I wouldn't waste the energy.

So what I've been doing is explaining that with plenty of training and a bit of smarts, your dog can be safe even by a road. Heck, there's a lady in my area who walks her dog 100% off leash, on sidewalks near the road even during rush hour. The dog stops with her, moves with her, walks in heel position the whole time. Some might call that stupid, but I don't think she is.

On the flip side, I've seen idiots let their dogs run out into the road on their flexis. I've had one person who wanted to let her dog meet mine (even though I told her that my dog didn't much like young rambunctious dogs) and who released the button to let the dog rush forward (resulting in my dog getting upset, trying to get away, and getting a bunch of burrs in her tail when she backed into a bush of them ). I've seen a guy who consistently walks his three dog aggressive chihuahuas off leash and says "They're just little dogs!" when they come rushing at my much bigger (leashed) dog. I've also seen people abusing head collars (giving the dog a pop on them), hang their dogs by flat collars when they "misbehave" and do all sorts of other things. Are head collars bad? Are flat collars? Are people who use them doing it out of "sheer folly"? No. Of course not.

So why assume that everyone who uses a flexi near the road is?

It's irrelevant how others use extending leads, this thread was specifically about people using them near busy roads. And no, I don't agree that anyone should ever risk their dog off leash near busy roads. It's a form of arrogance - believing that the dog is so obedient that it won't ever disobey and in so doing come to harm.

Lots of dogs are perfectly obedient - until the moment when they are not! Why risk a dog's life when it's so simple to attach a leash of some sort when near a busy road? No owner can ever, ever totally guarantee that their dog won't get spooked and bolt.

Re extending leads:

All I am saying is that I personally would not use one near a busy road - and that in my own subjective humble opinion it is not a great idea. That's it - just an opinion!

We are all entitled to express our opinions. Note I have never, ever judged you nor said anything personal about you and your dog - unlike your posts last week when you repeatedly judged me.

Let's leave it there and just agree to disagree.

Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 01:20 AM
You may put me on ignore if you want to. I don't really care. But I'm not going to ignore posts that I want to reply to.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 01:27 AM
You may put me on ignore if you want to. I don't really care. But I'm not going to ignore posts that I want to reply to.

Again: let's just agree to disagree.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7