Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I would never use one for walking a dog on a road however I will be using one for Ludi in open spaces whilst we teach recall. I do have a long line but because he is so small I just found myself getting it all tangled up as he only uses about half the length

When walking on a pavement dogs should be walking to heel and under control, how can you do that on a flexi
You have them "locked" to the shortest length which would put the dog in the "heel" position but see my post above!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2011, 10:13 AM
still not foolproof though.

locked position on a lead relies on your hand

locked poistion on a flexi relies on your hand, then button, then pulley mechanism.

too many variables.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Its not the lead but the person at the end of it. Flexis are great if used properly and responsibily, on the right dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:39 AM
There was a guy yesterday with a spaniel on a flexilead. So I called Shamus, assuming he didn`t want other dogs near his and took his collar. Daisy ignores other dogs but Shamus does sometimes go to meet them .
So what does the guy do?
He lets the dog fly at us on the full length of the lead and yap at Shamus.
I`m afraid that is fairly typical of flexi-users round here.
It`s not magic string, people. You have NO control of your dog. All it means is that you can also inflict rope burns on your fleeing victims.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I got one for Sadie for when we were at the caravan as she won't go to the loo if she is on lead or near me - I think she thinks I need the exercise and I weighed her - just under 15KG so went to get a 15KG Flexi expendable - it doesn't look strong enough at all - but it has done well - and she does pull a bit too.

Personally though - I hate them - you get tangled up - I think Faye and Dutch figured that out this weekend just gone unsocial dogs are allowed to run up to anyone. And my worst pet hate of them - big dogs on flexi's - my friend's long legged JRT has snapped several Flexi leads - and they go up a size each time she does, I think she's on the one they use for Akitas - she's not snapped it yet but there's still time. I don't see why Akita/big dog owners use them - they don't look at all safe - oh and SBT's fair enough if you have a friendly one - but why stick an unfriendly SBT on a flexi and decide not to try and control it?

that's my rant
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I do agree that it's insanity for any dog to be off leash in a busy area or any area outside of a park/field - oh don't even get me started on this....!

But: the extending leads are, in my humble opinion, risky no matter who is holding them, because the locking mechanism can fail and I've heard of a number of cases where this has happened.
The only time I've heard of the locking mechanism failing it was with a knock-off or with a leash that someone had had for years (they should be replaced every year or so and it's even recommended on the packaging, if I remember right).

I don't trust flexi knock-offs. I had one and it sucked. If the leash got wet, it didn't retract properly and eventually I ended up with a leash that was fully extended and wouldn't retract. I've had only the real flexi's since and never had a problem with them.

My dog doesn't pull and she doesn't bolt and I like it so she can explore in the grass and I can stay on the sidewalk. Even if the locking mechanism failed, I could grab the leash (and not get burned) because I have a tape one. I hate the rope ones. No one with a dog larger than 5 pounds should get a rope one.

The problem I always have when we get into these discussions on flexi leads is that people hate them because of the stupid way some people use them. Like the one quoted above where the lady wasn't paying attention. This isn't a failure of the leash and it doesn't make the leash bad. It means the lady is an idiot. I never take my eye off my dog on walks and she's never run out into the road. People can hate the leashes all they want, but it's NOT the leash's fault that some people are idiots. I see people using them properly every day and occasionally I see someone using them improperly.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I would never use one for walking a dog on a road however I will be using one for Ludi in open spaces whilst we teach recall. I do have a long line but because he is so small I just found myself getting it all tangled up as he only uses about half the length

When walking on a pavement dogs should be walking to heel and under control, how can you do that on a flexi
Ummm...by using the heel command? It shouldn't matter how long the leash is if the dog knows it.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:48 AM
My dog, btw, is 50 pounds. She hasn't snapped one leash. She's trained well and doesn't pull. She knows by the increasing tension when she's getting toward the end of the leash and slows down so she doesn't hit the end of it.
Bengee
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Flexi lead for me, great invention, may get one for the dog as well.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
You have them "locked" to the shortest length which would put the dog in the "heel" position but see my post above!
Thats alright until it fails and the dog shoots off, possibly under a car!
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »