Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I know of a behaviourist who is an ex police dog instructor of 25 years experience plus a top behaviourist who would disagree with that ...

He works in Cumbria and has seen more problems caused with use of ecollars than not.

He picks up the pieces...

Wys
x
Funny enough it was a police instructor of 25 years experience that mentioned about correct usage being ok in certain cases; just shows that not everyone agrees.

Personally I would never use them. The risk of misuse is too great and therefore don't think they should be legal.

With working dogs there is always lots of talk about 'high drive' dogs and how they are different from pet dogs. I have lived with a few high drive dogs. They're still dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
Funny enough it was a police instructor of 25 years experience that mentioned about correct usage being ok in certain cases; just shows that not everyone agrees.

Personally I would never use them. The risk of misuse is too great and therefore don't think they should be legal.

With working dogs there is always lots of talk about 'high drive' dogs and how they are different from pet dogs. I have lived with a few high drive dogs. They're still dogs.
Exactly. Dogs are dogs. Pet dogs can also have high drives.
There is no mystery about working dogs and in the main no massive differences. You need to be aware that some BCs may be more ehrdy than others...that some GSDs may also be more herdy than others..but they are, at the end of the day, dogs. Once you find what floats their boat they can all be trained with rewards.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
So....you can inflict pain on a dog to stop it sheep chasing..but probably give it other problems as a direct result, or you can use a long line on the dog, or you can take the dog to someone like I suggested, or rehpme the dog into an equally loving home in an urban environment.
There are options...I would say better options, than using an ecollar, none of the other options are painful for a start.
As I have said, I agree that it is preferable to take the dog to a behaviourist like the one you suggested (provided the methods are kind and effective), or use a long line as a training aid. With the proviso that the long line does not work on all dogs as some soon realise there is no control once the line is off. Mind you a dog hitting a long line at full speed could inflict on it very painful injury (either to the neck, or to its legs tangled in the long line), never mind the injury a handler might sustain being flung to the ground by a strong dog, or an innocent by-stander or dog being caught up in the line).

I don't think keeping the dog on a long line forever is preferable.

I also don't think rehoming the dog is preferable either. Unless the owner knows the prospective new family well there is no guarantee the dog will be in an equally loving home or not be passed on.

If the ecollar is used correctly it is very unlikely that other problems will occur as a direct result - the other problems usually occur as a result of the training not being well thought out, and the shocks being mistimed. That having been said, there will be dogs which are sensitive souls and would fall to pieces if the ecollar is used on them, and obviously that is not an option for them.

I think we have both summed up what we think quite well, and so perhaps our discussion has run its course? I don't think we will persuade each other of our views.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Whoops double post!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 01:50 PM

TOTALLY agree with you there My first own dog, as oposed to the family dogs, was a high drive dog with US lines. There's a lot of rubbish talked about high drive dogs IME and O. And it's often used to impress the gulllible. Of course they do need dedication and commitment to training etc.

Wys
x
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 01:59 PM
TOTALLY agree with you there My first own dog, as oposed to the family dogs, was a high drive dog with US lines. There's a lot of rubbish talked about high drive dogs IME and O. And it's often used to impress the gulllible. Of course they do need dedication and commitment to training etc.

Wys
x
That is very true - often the fact or claim that the dog is high drive is used as an excuse to use harsh training methods and extreme corrections to compensate for the handlers lack of knowledge of how such a dog can be motivated to comply without the use of force.

That said, I do think that a lot of high drive dogs need more knowledge to handle and train properly (and kindly) than lower drive dogs - which is why of course first time dog owners are often advised not to start off with a higher drive breed of dog.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 03:10 PM
You keep the dog on a harness and longline. You work very hard with the dog on its recall and go to someone like this...
http://www.dog-partnership.co.uk/livestock.htm
I personally would not like to keep my dog on a lead or long-line for the rest of its life, if a couple of exercises with an ecollar would put the dog off sheep for life. That is JMO.

I agree that going to see someone experienced in this kind of problem, such as Angela Stockdale, would be another method tried prior to using an ecollar. I did in fact contact her about my sheep-chasing dog and she emailed me a lengthy and comprehensive reply. I wish I had had the time and money to go to one of her courses back when I had this dog.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Well as there are sheep everywhere out in the countryside, they are kind of unavoidable. I wouldn't consider a dog that will 'bolt across fields' to get to sheep as safe to have off-lead even with an e-collar. A collar is just a piece of equipment and can fail.
The point of training with an ecollar though is that the dog only need have to wear it once or twice and it will never chase sheep again. It is not (usually) a case of having to wear the ecollar for life. I have seen it work for two dogs after just one use and the dogs never chased, or even looked at, livestock again.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 03:16 PM
The very high drive, strong dogs don't need aversives any more than the average dog, but what they do need is someone who is knowledgeable in training of positive methods including how to give consequences and how to motivate

Those who use aversive equipment pretend it's the only way - usually these are the same people who believe in being dominant over the dog or see the dog as being wilful when in fact it doesn't understand.

wys
x
I agree. A true high drive dog is a different prospect to a lively pet dog though, and does generally need a more experienced and knowledgeable handler.

What has surprised me is that you see many dogs in Schutzhund training with pinch collars on, and most of the police dogs in the US seem to have either pinch or ecollars on, yet the UK police have no problems training their high drive working dogs without the use of such training aids? Does anyone know why this is?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 03:22 PM
But if people have the resources to go out and buy and ecollar...and a trainer to teach them how to use it, then surely they have the time to go to someone like the lady I suggested in the link?
If people aren't willing to put in the time then they shouldn't have the dog. Harsh perhaps...but most training takes a great deal of time and patience.
Ecollars can be hired for a fraction of what you pay to buy them. I am also not sure how much AS charges for her sheep courses, but I am fairly confident they will be into the £100s and then you have the expense of travelling down there (if you happen to live up North) as well as taking time off work etc. I agree though that it should definitely be an option to try, if at all practicable, prior to using an ecollar.

I don't agree with your comment that "if people aren't willing to put in the time then they shouldn't have the dog" in a case of a sheep-chaser. There are many dogs who, having experienced the thrill of the chase, may be impossible to retrain to ignore livestock. As I have said, I would not like to condemn any of my dogs to a life on a lead.
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >