Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Acceptance of dogs limitations

Just needed I would share some thoughts and thank you for your indulgence

I have come to the conclusion after lots of soul searching that some dogs have limitations and even after lots of hard work and success you have to accept the limitations.

Tom a rescue lurcher who many of you know is the sweetest dog at home but he has limitiations.

Despite all sorts of advice , training , behaviour advice etc, I have accepted that Tom is a dog I can never ever be complacent with , that doesnt mean that his training will stop or we love him any less but it is a way of coping with the ups and downs of having a dog that may at times exhibits behavour that makes you sad. He could be such a wonderful agility dog but his reactions to other dogs at times have restricted that , he is so bright and easy to train but I cant do things I would love to with him because I cant risk his potential reaction as this is not acceptable in certain situations.

To be clear , Tom has never hurt any human or any animal as I have ensured I am aware of his limitiations and work with them and play safe every time.

So I suppose my point is but with some sadness is that I accept that my dog has limitations. I accept that there is more responsibility, liability and work involved when owning a dog with fear aggressive tendencies. But we love him nonetheless and 99% of the time he is the most wonderful pet you could wish for who brings us lots of happiness.

I hope this makes sense and those of you who have experienced this will understand.

I think today I am just feeling a bit down about how I can do more for this fanatastic dog but not sure what else to do.

He is snuggled up on my lap as I type and I just so want him to reach the potential he is capable of but not sure what else I can do.

Dogsey is a wonderful place to be able to share thoughts like these and I hope you wont think badly of me for taking that opportunity.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I can so identlfy with that.

Celt will never be able to do what I would like him to do. He just hasn't got the mental capacity. Not to mention all the injuries and pain he has.

It took me ages to reach a place where he and I can meet and be happy with each other. Ideally he would be a PAT dog--he loves people and cuddles, but he has no self control taking food. He has no self control in lots of situations come to that. Despite lots of work on it. So he is my pet dog and if he wants to run off and meet and greet when we walk I let him do it if it is a suitable, and he has cuddles and he herds Champa. Thats not too bad a life.

I think in the end you just have to accept the dog you have and enjoy their strengths.

I have a different situation with Etta---she can do more than any other dog I have ever owned but I can't afford to travel to compete at HTM, she can't do gundog trials because she is not registered. So I am teaching her different things just for the fun of it. Maybe you could do things like that with him----I have found lots of kids toys she can learn to 'play' with. Touching levers, putting rings on, stacking toys, pull alongs etc.

Keep cuddling!

rune
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks Rune, I absolutely accept Tom for the wonderful dog he is and also recognise some of things he could achieve but most likely wont. I do lots with him and he is so bright , the puzzle toys I bought at Crufts were sussed in a few mins and I am always finding new challenges for him !

I have Bella on the otherhand who is now on the Gold Level KCGC award and has been passed as a PAT dog , thing is Tom has so much more about him in many ways (she is lovely too and not such a dippy grey !) and that what makes me sad for him.

But you are right , we love and accept him for the dog he is and enjoy all the smiles he brings and he does the best doggy cuddles ever !
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 03:44 PM
All dogs have limitations, don't see it as a failure but as a great step forward that you have reached this point, no dog is 100% perfect (although all mine are perfect to me!) and accepting them for what they are is what every dog deserves, flaws, foibles and all!!
Rune, have you contacted The Gundog Club, they hold training and certificate sessions for all breeds regardless as to whether they are registered or indeed gundogs!!
Becky
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Too expensive! Horrific prices.

She could do the first stage but they say you have to do the course anyway and by the time I have added travel its just not possible.

rune
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Yes they are a tad expensive, hence I haven't done it with my poodles!
Becky
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't think any dog is 100% I think acceptance of your dogs limitations shows how intouch you are with your dog.

Mine are all different from one being an angel that you never have to correct to a dippy soul , but hey ho thats life
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
Just needed I would share some thoughts and thank you for your indulgence

I have come to the conclusion after lots of soul searching that some dogs have limitations and even after lots of hard work and success you have to accept the limitations.

Tom a rescue lurcher who many of you know is the sweetest dog at home but he has limitiations.

Despite all sorts of advice , training , behaviour advice etc, I have accepted that Tom is a dog I can never ever be complacent with , that doesnt mean that his training will stop or we love him any less but it is a way of coping with the ups and downs of having a dog that may at times exhibits behavour that makes you sad. He could be such a wonderful agility dog but his reactions to other dogs at times have restricted that , he is so bright and easy to train but I cant do things I would love to with him because I cant risk his potential reaction as this is not acceptable in certain situations.

To be clear , Tom has never hurt any human or any animal as I have ensured I am aware of his limitiations and work with them and play safe every time.

So I suppose my point is but with some sadness is that I accept that my dog has limitations. I accept that there is more responsibility, liability and work involved when owning a dog with fear aggressive tendencies. But we love him nonetheless and 99% of the time he is the most wonderful pet you could wish for who brings us lots of happiness.

I hope this makes sense and those of you who have experienced this will understand.

I think today I am just feeling a bit down about how I can do more for this fanatastic dog but not sure what else to do.

He is snuggled up on my lap as I type and I just so want him to reach the potential he is capable of but not sure what else I can do.

Dogsey is a wonderful place to be able to share thoughts like these and I hope you wont think badly of me for taking that opportunity.
A brilliant post and one I can well relate to as Max is another dog with such limitations. When we first got Max I felt quite isolated, thinking that I was the only one with a dog that behaved as he did, he would react to anyone and anything back then. The I discovered Dogsey and realised that many other owners have dogs with their own problems!

Fast forward a few years and he is a different dog although we know his limitations. I think a big part of the battle is learning to accept your dog for what he / she is. I wanted more for Max but I have come to accept him for what he is.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Sounds like you are describing my mia there

She IS a fantastic agility dog - but I dont think I will ever get her in the ring because being around all them dogs would be too much

But she has loads of great other qualities - she is super smart a totaly cuddle monster, adores children, makes me giggle just looking at her, she is healthy and happy

Ben works great with me - but he will never set the world alight

but then again I have my limitations and my dogs put up with them

I totaly know what you are saying, some days it is so hard

but no dog is perfect - learning their limitations is just getting to know and love them
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I don't think dogs have ambitions to compete and win, or to gain awards, those are human ambitions.

Dogs just want to be treated well and have fun.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >