View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Price was not an a problem I would pay alot more for a perfect dog it was just my OH worried about the jaw etc and the price.

Thankyou for your replys they have been very helpful.

I have been on the phone to the chairman of the rotti association wales and she has told me basically not to touch the dog with a bargepole because of the jaw fault, if it protruding already at 8 months then it will get worse the older he gets. Sad really as he is a darling, she also said £500 is WAYYYYYYYYYY over what I should pay for a dog with such a fault

So guess i'm on the look again
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I think you need to stop thinking of this pup as faulty, breeders do not sell of faulty stock at cut price...... he has a "bite" that this breeder is not happy to take into the ring (others might) it will not hinder his welfare in any way.

Maybe it is the fact that he comes with endorsements (you cant register his pups) that is more of a problem to your OH, than the price, and not being able to earn his keep.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think you need to stop thinking of this pup as faulty, breeders do not sell of faulty stock at cut price...... he has a "bite" that this breeder is not happy to take into the ring (others might) it will not hinder his welfare in any way.

Maybe it is the fact that he comes with endorsements (you cant register his pups) that is more of a problem to your OH, than the price, and not being able to earn his keep.
If you had taken the time to read it is not earning his keep that we are bothered about, my other dogs DO NOT earn their keep as you so nicely put it so why should he have to, I have been told on good authority that this fault if showing in him now will hinder him greatly as he grows in both appearence and physically. And just so you know he cannot be shown because of this reason so no person would attempt to put him in the ring
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-04-2007, 06:58 PM
but until he has grown no one can really say how bad the undershot jaw will be, a dog with an undershot jaw as far as i am aware can physically do every thing a dog can without, i know my oldie could i know hes wasn't as bad as some dogs, but it never affected his pysical abilitys.

how did the person say it will affect him?
i can understand appearence wise,if the look of the dog is important to some one but not the physical side.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
but until he has grown no one can really say how bad the undershot jaw will be, a dog with an undershot jaw as far as i am aware can physically do every thing a dog can without, i know my oldie could i know hes wasn't as bad as some dogs, but it never affected his pysical abilitys.

how did the person say it will affect him?
i can understand appearence wise,if the look of the dog is important to some one but not the physical side.
She said something along the lines of if he is 8 months and it is showing as much now at this young age it will grow alot worse and could go to the extent of not being able to eat, drink, chew properly etc. I am assuming this information is correct as it is on very good authority but like you say I suppose you cannot really tell untill it reaches an adult, I am still not going for him due to this...... just incase plus they will not lower the price
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Perhaps its worth you contacting the The British Rottweiler Association, [ BRA ] and/or other Rottie breed clubs to ask for their opinions, [ and to see if the breeder is a member and has signed up to an ethics charter ? ].

Worth checking under the Kennel Club Accredited Breeders scheme as well ?

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/203

Lots of Rottie breed clubs and associations listed here toward the bottom of the page,

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/59

[ BRA is the first one on the list, the phone number the KC page gives for the Secretary is different to the one on the BRA website though, so if the KC one is`nt right, try the number on the BRA website itself ].

When buying a dog from a breeder, [ not just young pups ], its always a good idea to do background checks anyway, [ whatever the breed ], re schemes / ethics charters.

Edited to add, just saw you have contacted the Wales branch, you posted while I was still finding resource pages and typing lol ].
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by taz_in_2001 View Post
She said something along the lines of if he is 8 months and it is showing as much now at this young age it will grow alot worse and could go to the extent of not being able to eat, drink, chew properly etc. I am assuming this information is correct as it is on very good authority but like you say I suppose you cannot really tell untill it reaches an adult, I am still not going for him due to this...... just incase plus they will not lower the price
Rhubarb!
I can tell ypu now that at 8mths that jaw will not get much worse if any worse at all. A dogs teeth alter and come through by 5mths, if they have kept the dog that long it speaks volumes to me that it wasnt significant in the first place, I think its an absolute bargain! There may be a bit of "sour grapes" between breeders especially if you told whom you spoke to about it who the breeder was, Im not saying thats the case but it certainly is possible.

Personally I think you have been badly informed, and in all my years of boarding dogs of any description have I ever only seen one dog that had difficulty eating due to an undershot jaw and that was a Bull breed.
dawn.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 07:16 PM
ADDED.
If you bought that puppy yourself as a "perfect" mouthed dog, would you think he was worth any less now his mouth had altered, given all the time love and effort you had put into him?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Rhubarb!
I can tell ypu now that at 8mths that jaw will not get much worse if any worse at all. A dogs teeth alter and come through by 5mths, if they have kept the dog that long it speaks volumes to me that it wasnt significant in the first place, I think its an absolute bargain! There may be a bit of "sour grapes" between breeders especially if you told whom you spoke to about it who the breeder was, Im not saying thats the case but it certainly is possible.

Personally I think you have been badly informed, and in all my years of boarding dogs of any description have I ever only seen one dog that had difficulty eating due to an undershot jaw and that was a Bull breed.
dawn.

I am soooo going to poke myself really hard in the eye for this but yet again Dawn, I find myself agreeing with you :smt021

I`ll add, along those lines, if anyone describes a jaw line over the phone, you can bet the tellers perception, no matter how well described, and the information recipients image of it, will not match accurately...

IOW, there is no way for someone on the phone to say how good or bad a jaw set is without them seeing it for themselves so should not be giving such a forceful opinion on it.

My suggestion of contacting breed clubs was for the Listed [ or not ], Ethical Breeder / price side of it.
None can give an opinion on the degree of a specific dogs mouth fault, [ in terms of Breed Standard ], without seeing the dog, and as anyone in Showing knows, what one Judge considers a significant fault, another may not, its all very much individual perception.
The breeders own perception may not necesarily match with some judges opinions, some may consider it a major fault in a particular dog, others may consider it minor.

I know plenty of people who have seen `glaringly obvious major faults` in dogs in the same classes as they were, [ beaten ], in but the Judges were always apparently blind and grossly biased
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 08:00 PM
I am soooo going to poke myself really hard in the eye for this but yet again Dawn, I find myself agreeing with you
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 I wouldnt worry by the end of the week you will probably be ready to :smt071 me!
Dawn.
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »