Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Excellent walkies today :)

So I took (some) of the behaviourists advice from my former post and have reverted to dog walking back where we used to go and Bailey does seemed to have calmed down some, he certainly acts happier. We've not come into close contact with any other dogs for about 10 days now. We've been practising the sit and wait when I throw a ball for Kiara and he's doing really well.

Today I saw these two old ladies that I used to see everyday - they have 4 small dogs between them ummm 2 yorkies, a poodle and a small white fluffy one. I know their dogs are quite standoffish (!!) Bailey has known these dogs since I got him and used to try and play with them so I put him in a sit (on lead) as they approached, Poppy n Kiara went to say hello then left em to it! I stood and chatted with them for a bit Bailey stayed sat with the odd treat being given, the poodle approached and they had a sniff to say hello and Bailey LAID DOWN on his side completley relaxed - WOOHOO No sign of the anxiety or aggression he was completely chilled !!
I know it's only a small step and he knows these dogs but a positive meeting with any dog is a brill experience for him. I'm so pleased for him.

These ladies are brilliant ones about 75 and they spend hours wandering around the pit top with their dogs and they know everything that happens on there ! As we were chatting I told them about Bailey and his DA issues which I think either started or were compounded by these two shepherds and the ladies said there'd been quite a few problems with these dogs and a lot of complaints made to the police and forestry commision as they've had a go at lots of other dogs - one dog was badly attacked and the owner broke her leg falling down a ditch trying to get her dog away Evidentley these 2 shepherds are now muzzled when they're out walkies and even better the owners now actually take leads along too!!!

So all in all a brilliant walkies and I just wanted to pass on some good news and tell someone who understands how important the little wins are in our doggies lives
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Well done you and Bailey of course! I don't want to bring you down from a high but remember the false sense of security - don't go back to your other walk for a while now, then when you are 100% certain he could handle it - gentle change the walk.

But well done - I'm so happy he's found peace and can relax around other dogs
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Sounds like a brilliant walk and obviously what he needs some good positive interactions. Its lovely when you can relax on your walks
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Well done you and Bailey of course! I don't want to bring you down from a high but remember the false sense of security - don't go back to your other walk for a while now, then when you are 100% certain he could handle it - gentle change the walk.
I'll stick with this walk - If he's happy then I am too
I actually prefer this walk to the other one it's just a pain having to drive right through town at rush hour

The other two like it too as there's a pond/lake they can play in too and the fact that it's so quiet they can just run themselves out without having to keep recalling them constantly due to other dogs approaching is brill.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Sounds like you and Bailey are on a winner here! Well done!

I had an interesting chat with a behaviourist over the phone, and this is exactly what she has told me to do, i.e. walk in secluded places where I am likely to meet the odd dog, rather than the places I was going which was very heavily dog populated. I got where she was coming from, when she likened it to my fear of spiders. She asked me how I would feel (being terrified of spiders!) if I was asked to walk through in insect house? Then she asked me how frightened I would be had those spiders not been behind the glass??? Made me think and understand how my dog must have felt when I was taking her to such busy populated areas when she is fear aggressive because she's had dogs launching themselves at her like missles and having a go at her for no reason!

So just like you, now that we've been walking in quite solitary areas, I make her sit next to me and just wait till the dog goes past and if it wants to come over and say hello, which has happened numerous times, all has been fine! When a really aggressive black lab started heading our way the other day barking and snarling at her, I immediately stepped in front of my dog and it didn't come any nearer thank God, and the owners? Well, they just called its name but nothing much happened, as per usual, it was ME who sent it packing lol!

Quite honestly,from the dramatic change I've seen in my dog since taking this action,I don't really want to ever walk in those heavily dog populated areas ever again. My dog has her chosen friends, I meet up with those and that's the only contact she's going to have from now on, from dogs that I know I can trust not to attack her. Maybe one day in the distant future, she might learn that not everything is going to take a lunge at her, and I'm hoping she will also get to realise that I am in the driving seat now, if she sits next to me, all will be well! god help me if I get a really aggressive one coming over (a lot of dogs just don't like Zena for some strange reason), but I'll cross that bridge when I have to.

Keep it up, you'll be amazed how much more relaxed your dog is going to be now, just like mine is!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Oh well done! That is very good news.

Is it your dog that's partly blind? Cherry who is partly blind likes to go on the same walk but I have noticed that since she's had her eye removed last week (she had no sight in it and pressure was sky-high) she is ok to walk a different route. Perhaps she had bad headaches and "wanted to be alone" as she didn't meet many dogs on her preferred route.

It's a bit of a balancing act when you have one dog like Cherry and another very sociable one like Parker who enjoys meeting other dogs. Compromise is the name of the game I guess!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Oh well done! That is very good news.

Is it your dog that's partly blind? Cherry who is partly blind likes to go on the same walk but I have noticed that since she's had her eye removed last week (she had no sight in it and pressure was sky-high) she is ok to walk a different route. Perhaps she had bad headaches and "wanted to be alone" as she didn't meet many dogs on her preferred route.

It's a bit of a balancing act when you have one dog like Cherry and another very sociable one like Parker who enjoys meeting other dogs. Compromise is the name of the game I guess!
Yeah he is practically blind only has about 5% in one eye Luckily my other two can take or leave other dogs, they like to go n say hello then move on, they very rarely try and play with other dogs so where we go isn't really an issue for them as long as were out walkies they're happy especially if there's a ball involved

I'm really Pleased Cherry is back on her paws and out walkies again - Brilliant news