Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
It's quite surprising (or maybe it's not) how many owners (dogs) have zero recall though.
When I posted that, I actually had in mind what I have to put up with pretty much on a day to day basis - please don't think it meant anything else in any way.

My old GSD/Husky x Locky will not tolerate dogs running at him. I on the other hand know how stubborn he can be (how bad his recall is !), so almost always have him on lead (unless it's "safe" not to).

When I ask other owners to recall their dogs, it's one or two attempts followed by "Oh he only wants to play."
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
When I ask other owners to recall their dogs, it's one or two attempts followed by "Oh he only wants to play."
or, "It's ok, he's friendly" as the dog ignores the owners calls!
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2010, 07:50 AM
I think it is perfectly acceptable to use the spray if the other dog is causing a problem. My dog also cannot tolerate off lead dogs running at him, as he has been attacked and confronted so many times. My dog has changed so much as a result of other peoples out of control dogs.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2010, 10:23 AM
i would do whatever neccersary to protect my dogs and i would expect the same if my dogs were causing a nusiance i alway recall my dogs and if any doubt i will put them on the lead so frustrating to have dogs running up to you and barking in my dogs face something my older dog doesnt tolerate after being attacked many times when hes been on his lead but i also find people will then blame my dogs due to there breed so annoying
GSDUK
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
If my dog was on lead and another dog came up acting in an aggressive manner, the owner of the other dog would need to keep their fingers cross that my dog (ALL GSD) got to the dog before I did.

If I am out with my girl GSD and another dog runs up, as it approaches I will shout to the other owner to call their dog back. If (as is usual they just stand there like idiots) they only have themself to blame when what's left of their dog returns to them. A dog that will not recall is a dog that is out of control and they would not stand a cat in hell's chance in Court. My girl is always on the lead.

If I had one of my boys, then as I said before, they had better hope that the dog gets there before I do, as the outcome would be the same as if I was walking my girl.

If you cannot get a recall in ANY circumstances, don't let the dog off the lead or be prepared to pay yes PAY the vet bills with only yourself to blame.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6