View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I actually find it rather amusing, especially when someone says that they have been in dogs for 22 years (for example) and then you find out that they are only 22 years old

I am sure the vast majority of us were born into households that had dogs (I know I was) but I certainly wouldn't claim to have been training them etc when I was a mere baby!

That is a good post Mick
SR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Understand what you mean Lottie,
those with a hundred years of experience don't want to learn newer better ways of anything,
infact us that research our Breeds could tell the old hats alot more than they could tell us.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by SR View Post
those with a hundred years of experience don't want to learn newer better ways of anything
I think anyone with any sense, whether experienced or less experienced, will want to learn better ways of doing things. The problem is that "better" and "newer" are not always the same thing.
I have a picture in my head of the enthusiastic young doctor/barbers slagging off the boring old stagers who used herbs and poultices on wounds when everyone who researched the most modern methods "knew" that leeches were the way to go!!!
Unfortunately, only time actually tells us what is effective and what is not and, like I said above, supporting something just because it is new is no more sensible that supporting something just because it is traditional. What's important is whether or not it works!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
I have always felt that experience is only valuable if you learn from it!
For me the most important things are to have an open mind, never to take things at face value and to balance new and old ideas against your experience and knowledge.
Benjamin Franklin wrote: "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." If you stick to that you can't go far wrong!
I also believe that things go round in circles and todays "outdated" methods will once again be tomorrow's "in tune" techniques and vice-versa. The only valid methods are those which actually work, whether old or new. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater just for the sake of being up to date is no more useful than ignoring modern methods because they are new and radical.
The failing of being "up" oneself is fairly evenly distributed between outdated and modern trainers IMHO. For me there is no one correct way of doing things - there are only methods which are effective in different situations. The skill is in recognising which situations necessitate which methods.

Mick
Great post Mick, I agree it's what works... I guess I should've said that they will use old methods (typically yank and yell) with any dog! And ALL dogs seem to be dominant! These are just what I've experienced though.

I also agree that new and old trainers can be 'up themselves' but I actually find the phrase itself incredibly arrogant. I've heard it a few times recently. One was used as an excuse for being extremely unkind to a woman who was forced to part with her dog due to illness. So what?! It doesn't give you any right to be nasty, nor does it give anyone the right to write off what others with less years of experience (even though they may have crammed lots into those few years) say about a situation.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`ve been into dogs for.....years - and there`s always something new to learn! However, i always find the best teacher is the dog.
Totally agree!!

Originally Posted by SR View Post
Understand what you mean Lottie,
those with a hundred years of experience don't want to learn newer better ways of anything,
infact us that research our Breeds could tell the old hats alot more than they could tell us.
Yup - this is what bugs me! I'm young and sadly although I was born into a family with A dog, he was rehomed due to a behaviour problem my mum was unable to deal with and partly due to her guilt, and my parents work limitations we never had another dog until I got Takara.
I had always been desperate for a dog though and met other dogs and read about them non stop!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Is it just me or is this really, really annoying??

I've met so many people who use this line and really it's like 'so what?!'

Yes, experience makes a difference, but then you also get those that have been training dogs so long they're stuck in outdated methods.

I also find that people who use this line are often very 'up themselves' and holier than thou with everyone and very unapproachable.
!
I know exactly what you mean, have experienced several like this!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2