Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by PMW50 View Post
Even if I just want to do it for fun?
Like I said I have no intention in competing :P

I might maybe ask the kennel manager at my Uni if we can use her equipment

Also, I do know how to train dogs. Half the course I'm studying is based around animal behaviour specifically that of dogs.
I probably will go to classes, don't want to risk injuring my doggy

Well obviously we don't have a module 'how to teach your dog agility', it's not that specific
All I'm saying is that I know how dogs learn and I know all the various training methods (positive reinforcement being the best method I think and seeing as this is used to train agility dogs . . .)

I think I've been slightly misunderstood with my intentions.
I'm sure you do know how to train dogs...and training agility dogs is no different in terms of methods etc, but as you have no experience of agility, you dont know the wrong and right ways to train different obstacles etc.
I know you have now said you will go to classes, but previously you didnt say you were, you said you "probably" would.
Classes are good fun, and will teach you how to train different obstacles and then you will be able to buy your own and have a good foundation of which to continue training at home, if you wish.

Be warned though, agility is very addictive! I started with my first (who i have now) with the intention of having fun, i then caught the bug and have added 2 more...bought for agility! Im trying to resist the urge for number 4!!!
PMW50
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I'm sure you do know how to train dogs...and training agility dogs is no different in terms of methods etc, but as you have no experience of agility, you dont know the wrong and right ways to train different obstacles etc.
I know you have now said you will go to classes, but previously you didnt say you were, you said you "probably" would.
Classes are good fun, and will teach you how to train different obstacles and then you will be able to buy your own and have a good foundation of which to continue training at home, if you wish.

Be warned though, agility is very addictive! I started with my first (who i have now) with the intention of having fun, i then caught the bug and have added 2 more...bought for agility! Im trying to resist the urge for number 4!!!
I will be going , when I say probably it basically means so long as I can find a class :P
But I will definitely get a professionals help if I can't find a class close enough. There's a girl on my course who seems to be very into agility so I may ask her
Also I think she actually lives near by so maybe she could recommend a class

Ha ha
I'm soon to catch the bug then :P
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I will be going , when I say probably it basically means so long as I can find a class :P
But I will definitely get a professionals help if I can't find a class close enough. There's a girl on my course who seems to be very into agility so I may ask her
Also I think she actually lives near by so maybe she could recommend a class

Ha ha
I'm soon to catch the bug then :P
www.agilitynet.com there is a list of training clubs on this site
PMW50
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
www.agilitynet.com there is a list of training clubs on this site
Oooh, thank you!
I shall be checking this out
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2011, 12:07 AM
I just started training my 3 year old Maltese/Shih Tzu cross last year. She was a little shy of people so it was more to build up her confidence around people. I have entered her in a few shows in Jumper Classes as she is getting better all the time.

I plan on working her on the other equipment this year so she can compete in the other classes.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3