Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Discomfort changes behaviour all the time, anytime you adjust your position in your chair, any time you blink or shield your eyes in strong sunlight, anytime you change the temperature of your environment you are changing your behaviour to deal with discomfort.

Adam
You see...I deal with discomfort...I change with pain. (which is possibly why my shoulder ended up in such a fearful state )

People learn to deal with discomfort on a daily basis - and the more you deal with it - the more desensitised you get to it.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:53 PM
So what if it was in USA, this is a world wide board after all.

Adam

It doesn't mean it's right to use one! Yes, you see lots of dogs wearing them here sadly, and you also have lots of people who thankfully condemn them. Same goes for shock collars, just because you can buy them , doesn't mean you should use them.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm not saying reward is bad or that aversive is bad just that it occurs during any form of training.

Adam
I'm so pleased to hear that you have no problem in deliberately inflicting a reward, but it still saddens me greatly to know that you also have no problem in deliberately inflicting a physical punishment

Can you really not see the difference and why people prefer the former and abhor the latter?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I think they must get some sick, twisted kick out of torturing dogs with these devices. IMO, no sane person would inflict this on their beloved animal.
It's even sicker when they pay someone else to do it for them, all in the name of training.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I'm so pleased to hear that you have no problem in deliberately inflicting a reward, but it still saddens me greatly to know that you also have no problem in deliberately inflicting a physical punishment

Can you really not see the difference and why people prefer the former and abhor the latter?
Latest theory on post 134
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
It's even sicker when they pay someone else to do it for them, all in the name of training.
Indeed. Very worrying.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
You see...I deal with discomfort...I change with pain. (which is possibly why my shoulder ended up in such a fearful state )

People learn to deal with discomfort on a daily basis - and the more you deal with it - the more desensitised you get to it.
Not if you deal with it succesfully!

Adam
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Not if you deal with it succesfully!

Adam
I don't understand.

I will give you a for instance - my training hall is very cold....I wear the same clothes now as I was wearing then...not change - I deal. How am I dealing with that successfully....and I can tell you - it can be flipping uncomfortable to be that cold!

Would you like to tell me how I make that more comfortable for myself? (As it does not seem to be working whatever it is)

Edit...also why I ignored the discomfort in my shoulder until it actually became painful (to painful to bear)...what mechanism made me do that?
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Adam can't you give up, and admit your ways are cruel, out dated, and you are not convincing anyone that you know anything about dog training, except how to train with pain.

You go train a dog using only positive methods only, and then maybe people would take you more seriously. Go hang up the zappers, and prongs, and do the dogs a favour, as you don't come across as someone who even loves or respects dogs at the moment.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 10:10 PM
By successfully relieving the discomfort, so to use your example by putting a heater in.

In the case of dogs it would be performing the behaviour that relieves the discomfort, ceasing to pull for example.

Adam
Closed Thread
Page 16 of 71 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 66 > Last »