View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Kidney failure Rottweiler? (updated/diabetes)

If anyone has any advice it would be so much appreciated

Royce my oldest rotty, {6 years old, will be 7 in oct}
has over the last few days has began to drink more water,
Rottys in general do drink a fair amount
But this is a huge increase, He is to see the vet tomorow, I truely think he has had a rapid onset of Kidney failure or similar, I am s***ing myself, He should be in the prime of his life,
I spent most of last night on the net and reading through the rottweiler books I have and its all pointing to kindeys
His sister died in Nov or Dec, but I have had no contact from the breeder to let me know of what, we are not on good terms {her choice} which seems to be the norm for her, If I find out his sister died of this !!!! God forbid,
More so if changes to his diet, lifestyle would have prolonged his life,

A local farmer has another litter sister to Royce and I am thinking of calling him to ask about there bitch, I have talked to his wife a few times and Arabella my mate with the farm knows them quite well, I dont think they would mind me getting in touch,
Do I wait untill I have see the vet
I dont know what to do,
I cant talk to anyone on the phone about it I will just start to cry and be totaly un - understandable,,,
if anyone knows of any other reason for these symptoms please let me know, it may help me to stop climbing the walls,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Shona ,the drinking lots could be a symptom of other things (like diabetes) so best to wait and see what the vet says..

What does the breath smell like? Is Royce peeing lots, can you get a sample?

Fingers crossed for you both...hug xx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Shona ,the drinking lots could be a symptom of other things (like diabetes) so best to wait and see what the vet says..

What does the breath smell like? Is Royce peeing lots, can you get a sample?

Fingers crossed for you both...hug xx
Just smelt his breath, cant say it smell any diff to normal, dog breath, I will try to get a sample, should not be to hard if I take him a walk, he seems ok in himself, I truely hope its not kidneys, I could happily live with Diabetes, thanks mini, its good to know it could be a totaly controlable condition, I guess I tend to worry, just having read the breed related conditions could have made me jump to conclusions, shona x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi Shona,

I do hope Royce is ok. Try not to worry too much just now. Wait and see what the vet says, I understand it's hard though not too worry.

Take care.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Shona I know it's easier said than done but firstly sit down and have a cuppa and try not to worry too much. Like has been said it could be a whole number of reasons. He might even just have a bit of a dodgy tum. Is he being unusually lethargic or lazy, panting more or maybe lying on the cold floor as a pose to the carpet, things like that?

Are there ANY other signs? Anything at all?

Like Mini said again, it would be useful if you can get a pee sample with him to the vets as they will probably ask you to go back and get one anyway so if you can do that it will save you hassle.

Good luck and I hope he is ok. x
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi Shona, first things first - take a deep breath :smt001
You have already sorted a vet appointment so thats in place. Presumably they have told you the best time to get a sample ?
If not, this info might help but please do check its accurate for what your vet will want timing-wise :

1. Urine Sample: For the most part, urine samples are requested for by a veterinary hospital when an issue has occurred with the health of the dog. By testing a fresh urine sample, the veterinarian can place a few drops under a microscope to look for crystals or bacteria. Crystals that are found in a urine sample are usually the cause of a urinary tract problem. There are many different reasons why bacteria or crystals can be found in the urine of a dog however most problems can be medicated with specially formulated prescription dog food. Now, to get the urine sample is rather the hard part. The best solution that I suggested to many worried patient owners was to take a long ruler or stick. Tape a bowl or water resistant container (I use Tupperware that I throw away afterwards) to capture a small sample of the urine. Now, it is also important to mention that the sample should be only about a quarter of a size amount - please do not collect a full cup! Once you have the sample, it is important to take the sample to the veterinary hospital as soon as possible. The urine sample needs to be fresh to be used. If not possible to get to the veterinary hospital right away, the sample can stay covered in the refrigerator for up to three hours. After those three hours the sample will not be fresh anymore and an accurate reading can not be given of the sample. Timing is very important.

[ From : http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g_healthy.html ]

Hopefully that might be useful to anyone else reading as well who may have to get a sample any time.

As Mini rightly says, there could be other reasons for increased drinking, [ there are at least 20 conditions which may be relevent to that one solitary symptom ! ], including diabetes as Mini says, and yes it could be something more serious but it could be something as simple and minor as a waterworks infection or a general infection which can cause a rise in temp so makes a dog significantly thirsty and hopefully it will be nothing more than that. Entire males are often prone to prostate problems including infections so thats also a possibility.

Its in our nature to look things up and assume the worst and when that causes any owner to act quickly then yes thats a good thing, but it can also have us demented with worry, its only natural.
Theres no point in me telling you not to worry because you will anyway but try if you can to hold on to the thought that it might be something easy to treat every bit as much as it could be something more than that :smt058
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi Shona

Hope all is ok, a year or so ago Ben was peeing so much, he couldnt last a couple of hours without peeing, I'd wake up in morning and he would have peed several times overnight, his urine was very clear and there was lots of it, it was also foamy when he finished(though that may just have been pure force as he peed A LOT!!!)and he would usually sniff aroiund where he had peed after he had (which was unusual) and he drank 5 or 6 large metal bowls of water a day

I searched on net and found staffys are prone to kidney disease, I was hysterical, I posted a few times here and was convinced he had kidney failure. I really thought he was going to die. He had wekly visits to the vet. They found a virulant infection in his kidneys it came back with blood and protein in his urine after analysis (again I looked up net and blood to me meant kidney failure!!) I kept asking the vet who kept saying he couldnt rule it out but if no improvement they would put Ben on a drip, I searched all over for cures etc. In the end he got antibiotics from vet, I gave him Denes Greenleaf tablets (which I have loads left of (PM me if you want me to send you some)
and I gave him a shower every night alternating on his lower back between warm and cold water ( I read that somewhere)

In the end Ben is a happy healthy dog who took around 2 months and 9 or 10 vets visits to get over it and touch wood my wee boy is still Ok to this day.

Please don't worry too much I really hope it all works out

Lots of hugs

x
PS the vet suggested a diet low in protein, and Ben got a senoir complete food even though he was only 2!! and he is now back on normal adult complete food

Oh and when I had to go to vets we had to take a sample, vet asked for one from 1st thing in morning (urine more concentrated) and as fresh a sample as poss (wasnt hard as he peed all the time!!
Hope this helps a bit
Take care
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 07:22 PM
hi shona try not to worry,he could have just a urine infection requiring no more than antibiotics,it could be some thing more but dont worry unless you have to,my motto have a cuppa,de-stress.
as has been said take a urine sample with you tommorrow,save you having to wait to go back with it,not to hard to get in a dog.then wait and see.i know its easy for us to say dont worry,but we all go through the same as you when one of our babies is ill.we will be here for you no matter what the results,iv pmd you xxzb
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 07:46 PM
thanks so much, I do feel a bit less frazzled now, I didnt sleep much last night which does not help, I am off to walk the young dogs now, will be back on in a bit, I will messure the amount of water his container holds, then post it, again, thanks so much it has calmed me down a lot reading all the posts, I guess im just a flapper when things like this happen, a bit like look at the worst sinario and everything after that is a bounus,
Bensmum, thanks so much having someone who has had this happen tell me it could be something not to serious really really makes a huge diff,
shona x
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 07:52 PM
I am sorry to hear this, i hope he is ok tomorrow and it isn't bad news.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »