View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Thank you, I need to go and get the oils, I havent had chance unfortunately...but will pop to boots today! MY oh back tonight from his travels with work, so he can help me put the ear drops in...she is a reall fidget, I already have a massive deep scratch on my arm from being at the vets! Will keep you posted thought, thank you xxx
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 11:02 AM
good news on the insurance front...have checked my argos cover, and we pay for premium, which means they pay up to 7000 for one issue, and then pay ongoing for lifetime as long as we keep up payments!!! jolly good xx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
My lot do this they are rubbing the sleep out of their eyes. If she isn't scratching excessively, doesn't have raw looking or black skin and her coat isn't scurffy then I think you may be being aken for a ride. I've heard several westie people having their dogs treated for 'westie skin' when they didn't have anything wrong.
I certainly wouldn't be putting my dogs on steriods if I hadn't actually gone to the vets for her skin.
What I would do if you do think she has skin problems is make sure she is on a good diet with the relevant oils in to maintain helath coat and skin.
Steriods can cause a lot of problems and she is only a baby and I certainly wouldn't be giving steroids to a puppy for no reason.
To be honest I think your vet has been very unprofessional. Westie pups can have very pink ears until their adult coat has developed.
Becky
Becky,

I totally agree with you.

Some Westies (and dogs in general) can rub you on the leg or sofa for no reason other than an annoying habit. Anna, make sure you tell her off firmly when she does the rubbing as it can quickly become a prolonged habit that is hard to break.

Westies have pink skin as puppies, and should do as adults aswell. The ears on a Westie puppy look very pink because their head hear hasn't grow in properly yet, and Willow is only young. They should not be red and inflammed though, obviously. I'm a concerned that your vet has aready given her a steroid injection . I woud seek a second opinion from another vet if I were you.

I would suggest getting hold of some Malaseb shampoo and bathing her with that - read the instructions carefully - I'm almost sure you can use it on a puppy of her age.

And as Becky said, make sure she's on a hypoallergenic diet and add Evening Primrose oil and Starfower oil to her diet as as soon as possible.

Also, wash her bedding etc in non biological detergent.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Hoping Willow is better soon. I have a Friend who has a Westie and she also has problems with her skin.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Hoping Willow is better soon. I have a Friend who has a Westie and she also has problems with her skin.
Thank you Lynn xxx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Aww poor lamb, it must be miserable being itchy Glad your insurance covers you, at least that is one less thing to worry about:smt002

I've heard Westies are very prone to skin conditions, I do hope this clears up soon.

Don't forget to only give hypo-allergenic treats too:smt002 :smt002
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Aww poor lamb, it must be miserable being itchy Glad your insurance covers you, at least that is one less thing to worry about:smt002

I've heard Westies are very prone to skin conditions, I do hope this clears up soon.

Don't forget to only give hypo-allergenic treats too:smt002 :smt002

Good point, Anne-Marie.

Burns and James Wellbeloved do a good range of hypoallergenic treats and biscuits.

James Wellbeloved Crackerjacks and Minijacks:

http://www.wellbeloved.com/welcome/dog/treats/index.htm

Burns Kelties:

http://www.shop.burns-pet-nutrition....reats.html#a56

Mine love all of the treats above!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 02:35 PM
fish4dogs do hypoallergenic treats too.

http://www.fish4dogs.com/cms/default.aspx
youngstevie