Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 09:31 AM

Bad things happen on the beach

Me and my OH took Mx out on the beach last night, knowing that it is generally very quiet.

When we got there, there were only a couple of other people with dogs there, whom I know Max is fine with, so I let him off lead.

We had a lovely walk, and did lots of training with him. we did lots of heelwork, stays, and retrieving the ball.

As we turned around to walk back, still on the beach, Max just turned round and bolted away from us.

We turned also, thinking he'd seen another dog.

There were a couple of motorbikes speeding down the beach, each with 2 people on. They were easily going 70mph + and had come down a spillway that the lifeboats and beach wardens use.

Max was heading straight towards them, as was another dog who was a way behind us.

He was sprinting and sprinting, like a greyhound and the motorbikes weren't slowing down.

First I shouted for him to "come", then when he didn't even register that I just screamed "MAX, STOP!".

He pulled up short and just stood looking puzzled, whilst we carried on running towards him.

The bikes has passed us and were screaming round in circles messing the sand up, before driving back the way they came and back up the spillway.

I have never been so scared in my life

I know Max's recall isn't 100%, which is why we walk on the beach. If there are ever horses or cars on the beach, we steer clear, similarly if there are any other dogs that we don't know.

I'm so pleased that Max stopped, although it's not from teaching him "stop", I think it was more the way my voice sounded than the command.

The bikes were going so fast, we didn't even get chance to look at the plates.

The other dog owner was in a similar situation, her dog is a gundog in training and also ran at the bikes. Luckily, she also stood and screamed and the dog came back.

She is going to call the local police today, and report the incident, although I'm not sure what good it will do.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 09:35 AM
OMG how scary, thank god Max and the other dog responded eventually. These maniacs probably would'nt have stopped even if they'd hit one of the dogs, or you, they know they shouldn't be riding like that so they're never going to admit to anything.

I hope you've calmed down now, please give Max a well done hug from me
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 09:39 AM
That is scary - you must have been beside yourself

I think sometimes it is the tone of voice that they respond to - thank goodness Max could hear you above the bikes - idiots!!!

Glad all is ok though {{HUGS}}
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Yup, I have a foghorn of a voice, thank god!

Max has never seen a motorbike unless on the road, so I suspect he didn't even know what he was chasing, except that it was going fast...
Redcount
New Member!
Male 

29-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Me and my OH took Mx out on the beach last night, knowing that it is generally very quiet.

When we got there, there were only a couple of other people with dogs there, whom I know Max is fine with, so I let him off lead.

We had a lovely walk, and did lots of training with him. we did lots of heelwork, stays, and retrieving the ball.

As we turned around to walk back, still on the beach, Max just turned round and bolted away from us.

We turned also, thinking he'd seen another dog.

There were a couple of motorbikes speeding down the beach, each with 2 people on. They were easily going 70mph + and had come down a spillway that the lifeboats and beach wardens use.

Max was heading straight towards them, as was another dog who was a way behind us.

He was sprinting and sprinting, like a greyhound and the motorbikes weren't slowing down.

First I shouted for him to "come", then when he didn't even register that I just screamed "MAX, STOP!".

He pulled up short and just stood looking puzzled, whilst we carried on running towards him.

The bikes has passed us and were screaming round in circles messing the sand up, before driving back the way they came and back up the spillway.

I have never been so scared in my life

I know Max's recall isn't 100%, which is why we walk on the beach. If there are ever horses or cars on the beach, we steer clear, similarly if there are any other dogs that we don't know.

I'm so pleased that Max stopped, although it's not from teaching him "stop", I think it was more the way my voice sounded than the command.

The bikes were going so fast, we didn't even get chance to look at the plates.

The other dog owner was in a similar situation, her dog is a gundog in training and also ran at the bikes. Luckily, she also stood and screamed and the dog came back.

She is going to call the local police today, and report the incident, although I'm not sure what good it will do.
you should keep dogs on leash . why would'nt people ride bikes when gun dogs are around?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Redcount View Post
you should keep dogs on leash . why would'nt people ride bikes when gun dogs are around?
These weren't just bikes, they were motorbikes speeding on the beach, going around in circles spraying sand everywhere. Why should dogs be kept on a lead?
Redcount
New Member!
Male 

29-05-2007, 10:17 AM
its much safer for the dogs and hunting dogs chase anything that moves fast. when i take out my m udhole hounds a keep them on leash as they sprint after anything that moves
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 10:21 AM
There is usually nothing on the beach except for other dog walkers and the occasional kite flyer or horse rider

Max isn't technically a hunting dog (unless you count frogs and wasps), so I'd have no reason to keep him on a lead, especially since riding a motorbike on the beach isn't allowed.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Redcount View Post
Riding round at excessive speeds not only puts dogs at risk, but it also put's humans at risk too. These weren't people enjoying a ride on the beach, these were joyriders at thier finest, causing as much havoc as possible.

Dogs have just as much right to enjoy off lead runs. It's something that called respect Redcount, obviously something that these bike riders fail to have
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Dogs aren't allowed on the beach here during the summer months. We really miss it but we respect the law.
I can't imagine that motor bikes are allowed on the beach at anytime.
I have noticed that bikers are beyond the law. they consider that it is their right to go anywhere as fast as possible.
Glad Max is safe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >