Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 12:20 AM

shedding (snake)

my snake pilchard,has shed her skin 3 weeks ago and has gone all pale again,as she did before she shed the last time,can snakes shed so quick as this?, iv moved her to a bigger tank,and added heat,i bought her in jan and she wasnt on heat of any sort and the man i got her off said she never had been,but the woman at the pet store said she needed heat as did every other person i spoke to so i got her a 3ft tank and put in heat would this be anything to do with it?
she has gone nervous again as her eyes are clouded and shes pale again,i understand that she cant c to well during a shed.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 08:23 AM
What temp have you got the tank at, and what kind of heat source is it?
Can Pilchard hide somewhere?

If you only got her 3 weeks ago, she could still be adjusting, snakes can get stressed very easily.
Did you say she has shed since you got her?
Have you fed Pilchard since you got her? How often have you fed her since you got her?
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 08:24 AM
If you go to http://www.livefoodshop.co.uk/forum/ you will get all the answers you need, they are very helpful and know what they are talking about.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 08:31 AM
we av a corn snake
sometimes she sheads every 2-3,but not normally.
i dont no much about snakes as shes my OH but i think they shead more wen there going through a growth spurt.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 09:00 AM
How old is she? Younger snakes shed more often than older snakes as they are growing, does she have a bowl she can sit in placed in a shady area of her home? also get a spray bottle of water and once a day spray the inside of her home, snakes appreciate the humidity, you can actually get sprays formulated with natural ingredients to condition their skin and keep them as healthy as possible.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 12:05 PM
i got her in jan she fed the week after i got her then she woudnt feed again til after she shed im using a undertank heat mat,the temp is 80 that wat themometer reads,she has a col area and her bowl is large for her to bathe in,she dont drink unless i wake her then she drinks plenty,she do come out at night,but she does look larger than when i had her,shes grown 6 cm since jan and shed the once.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 12:47 PM
See if it goes away in a few days, and if not, try and find a good reptile vet.
Cloudy eyes can sometimes be a sign of an infection/sinus problem.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 05:55 PM
If you have given her heat and a bigger tank AND are actually feeding her.. then she will shed more often..

Given that the person who had her before never gave her a heat source then it may be possible that she wasn't being fed enough either..

I would lightly mist her tank with a water spray and give her a week or so.. if she is still active I wouldn't worry too much and if she sheds then you know you are doing something right...

My Royal Pythons shed about every 6 wks.. but when Monty first came to live here he was very confused at the new set up.. he had heat and light and water and regular food and was shedding every 3 weeks for the first 3 months.. he has now settled into a regular pattern thou.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
If you have given her heat and a bigger tank AND are actually feeding her.. then she will shed more often..

Given that the person who had her before never gave her a heat source then it may be possible that she wasn't being fed enough either..

I would lightly mist her tank with a water spray and give her a week or so.. if she is still active I wouldn't worry too much and if she sheds then you know you are doing something right...

My Royal Pythons shed about every 6 wks.. but when Monty first came to live here he was very confused at the new set up.. he had heat and light and water and regular food and was shedding every 3 weeks for the first 3 months.. he has now settled into a regular pattern thou.
when i got her her tank was stinking,really stinking,poor thing ,shes been erratic in her feeding but,but if shes shedding wouldnt that be the problem,shes lovely i always wanted a snake and the oh was only convinced after holding a rescue corn at the petstore friends of ours run,
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
,shes been erratic in her feeding but,but if shes shedding wouldnt that be the problem,
No.. once they get themselves into a routine of knowing when they are fed the shedding falls into the same pattern..

Mine never refuse a feed as they are in a pattern..the eat, they poo, etc then every 6 wks they shed..

They even shed at the same time, yet they are in different tanks.. (I think thats weird!)

Once she sorts herself out she will feed regularly and you can work out when her sheds will be due and just feed her a few days later each time..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >