View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Mine are 10, 11 and 15 years.They normally get three walks a day...8-9am, 1.30-2.30pm and 10 mins up the road just before dark in winter but longer in summer plus walks round our large garden in between for toiletting and play. Being retired it's no problem, I love being out and so have all our adoptees and foster dogs.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Monday to Friday Before and after work. If before was a bit short he might get a 30min trip out at lunchtime. Weekends one longer walk - or if he's got agility nothing I'd classify as a walk at all. Did try walking him there and back but he was a bit on the shattered side.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Im really suprised that milly only gets half an hour a day

Roxie gets between half an hour or 5 hours depending on what im doing. She comes to work with me so were out a huge amount.

Milly really should be getting more I would have thought.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I'm confused, I'm sure I keep reading on this forum that Millie has the same energy levels as working spaniels?!?! Make up your mind!

E.g. - ......."but has the energy of a working dog im sure of it she does seem tobe slowing down a lot more now but she could honestly go on a walk all day if she could especially if their were people and dogs around ^^"
I keep telling myself that and I keep thinking I should take her on longer walks but I keep getting told that puppies should get 5 mins added on to every month since their first walks and should not be walked as much as adults to as mental stimulation is better for them at that age. (that was from cockers online!))

I do feel that she should get longer then that but I also dont want to cause problems for her growing joints.one of the reasons I started to doing two walks that I found it easier to get the 15 minutes out of them if I take her on one I tend to take her out for a lot longer but worry if its too much for her age.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I keep telling myself that and I keep thinking I should take her on longer walks but I keep getting told that puppies should get 5 mins added on to every month since their first walks and should not be walked as much as adults to as mental stimulation is better for them at that age. (that was from cockers online!))

I do feel that she should get longer then that but I also dont want to cause problems for her growing joints.one of the reasons I started to doing two walks that I found it easier to get the 15 minutes out of them if I take her on one I tend to take her out for a lot longer but worry if its too much for her age.
well how old is she now?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm sure the dogs would love as many walks as I could give them but they only get 1 a day. At the moment my dad is off work so he takes them out in the morning and I take them for their 'proper' walk in the afternoon.

During the week it's normally 2 hours long, off lead exercise with plenty of hunting, games, training etc. At this time of year it's dropped down to 1.5 hours but at the weekends they get about a 3/4 hour walk.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 05:29 PM
My five get half an hour off lead before work in the morning and around an hour in the afternoon. Milo's current limit (with his three legs) is around an hour so, if I want to do more, I take him and my oldie home and go out again with the three younger ones.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post

If you are following the 5 minute rule and Millie is nine months then you should be on 45 minutes at a time on the walk.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
If you are following the 5 minute rule and Millie is nine months then you should be on 45 minutes at a time on the walk.
there we go i didnt know how old she was

i think if you walked her for 45 minutes at time, you may see some change in her if you keep going on about her energy... shes not using enough of it on just half an hour a day exercise
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
well how old is she now?
9 months old
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >