View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 01:11 PM
In summer: 1-2 hours in the morning and around 40 minutes late afternoon.
In winter: 2 hours in the morning.

Weekends vary, in summer I am usually at competitions so they get brief walks whilst I am there (its mentally tiring so they dont usually want another when we get home- would much rather sleep!)
In winter I try to take them for one long 3+ hour walk at weekends.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
But Millie is a 9month old show type she doesn't have the same energy as working types ^_^

when she is older she will get longer walks
You really believe that?
The show types I've seen and walked could easily keep up with the working types...
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Ours come for a run with me about three, four times a week, roughly 10 miles in total. We all run with my other half on a Friday, another three miles. They also get a long walk 3 evenings a week about 2.5 - 3 miles. Then at weekends we do much longer walks, normally about 6 miles plus (so a weekend total of about 12 miles). So over an average week they run 13 miles and walk a further 20 miles.

Wow never added it up like that before! Who said a Cavalier only needs a couple of short walks a day!!! And as for our Collie x she could do twice that lot!!! And still have energy to chase a ball about!!

Owning dogs must keep us all fitter than we'd be without them!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
Ours come for a run with me about three, four times a week, roughly 10 miles in total. We all run with my other half on a Friday, another three miles. They also get a long walk 3 evenings a week about 2.5 - 3 miles. Then at weekends we do much longer walks, normally about 6 miles plus (so a weekend total of about 12 miles). So over an average week they run 13 miles and walk a further 20 miles.

Wow never added it up like that before! Who said a Cavalier only needs a couple of short walks a day!!! And as for our Collie x she could do twice that lot!!! And still have energy to chase a ball about!!

Blooming 'eck, you've got some stamina haven't you, let alone the dog You added that up wrong, you actually do 34 miles a WEEK! You must be fit!!!

I feel ashamed that I only cover 4 miles in my hour each morning, and I walk fast too, having had horses who like to walk fast alongside you!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Sadie and I used to cover 20 - 25 miles in a day (I was riding my bike though)

Louie would love to go running with you, OH would take him running but he doesn't run - he sprints.. the dog not the OH
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
But Millie is a 9month old show type she doesn't have the same energy as working types ^_^

when she is older she will get longer walks
I'm confused, I'm sure I keep reading on this forum that Millie has the same energy levels as working spaniels?!?! Make up your mind!

E.g. - ......."but has the energy of a working dog im sure of it she does seem tobe slowing down a lot more now but she could honestly go on a walk all day if she could especially if their were people and dogs around ^^"
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 02:11 PM

I really wanted to get Buster into running with me but there are two problems, one problem is so disappointing. The first problem is, Buster's got a problem with his hind leg that we have been unable to get to the bottom of at the moment. The really disappointing problem is, I've been told I can no longer do any running ever again (only a bit of gentle jogging on the grass, no hard surfaces), as I have a problem with my knees . so the running is out the window altogether.

Both my boys get two walks a day and sometimes at weekends they get 3.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Going by the 5 minutes per month rule, surely Millie should be having 45 minute walks?
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Two walks a day is our routine, though occasionally we'll go out just the once.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I take my two for an off lead run for about an hour twice a day. Before they turned a year they had roughly 5 mins per month of age off lead twice a day. So built up to around 45 mins twice a day. Once they turned a year (they are now 17 and 20 months) they have a min of 45-50 mins if we are pushed but generally at least the full hour and if we have gone to one of the places we only get to a couple of times a week it is often and hour and a half plus.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »