Originally Posted by BentleyBoo View Post
Ok sorry. Thank you for your help
nowt to be sorry bout

cool,anytime
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:24 PM
...oh just to add...make sure he has something to occupy him and chew(stuffed kong maybe? )
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Sorry whats a kong ?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by BentleyBoo View Post
Sorry whats a kong ?
http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

but forget their own fillers ..great fun to make your own mixtures,and they are freezable too
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Oh ok thanks they look good I've seen those before. Bentley doesn't really play with toys much (occasional mad 5 mins in the middle of the night charging round with his ball on a rope!!) but would probably be interested if filled with food. He loves to chew (only on things he is allowed to, thankfully!!).
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm sure he will be fine, especially if leading up to it you can start to leave him on his own a little bit - then he can get used to it.

A lot of vets love to tell you to feed your dog on hills (my vets is the same! I think they must get comission!), but in my opinion, James Wellbeloved is a much better food, and I would continue to keep feeding your little dog this

With regards to a dog walker - for the 5 weeks, have you thought of finding a reputable one, and going on a few walks together, so Bently could get used to them?

My own dog is AWFUL with other dogs, but my dog walker knows that, and doesn't let her off lead, and makes sure she avoids other dogs (and she is a big dog, and can be hard to control). I just made sure I found someone I trusted, and got my dog used to her first.

footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Hi and welcome to dogsey. I don't think you will have a problem leaving your Bently, he sound pretty stable to me, and will take being left in his stride.
As for the food, JW is one of the better foods, and really if Bently enjoys it I wouldn't change it. My boys are on Hills Natures Best but this was my choice, I have fed it to mine since I have had them, but I get it online, saving at least £7 per 12kg bad, so pleae don't line your vets pockets, but if I was you I would ignore that particular recomendation. Good Luck, and please come back and let us know how you both got on.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 12:43 AM
James Wellbeloved is a good food so I personally wouldn't change his diet if he is doing well on it. Vets tend to get a good commission from the sale of Hills if bought through them so they do have a vested interest in selling it. What wet food are you adding for the evening meal?

If he's within the recommended weight range (your vet should have a chart or you can look up on the internet), then there's no need to adjust the amount fed.

Sounds like there isn't a lot you can do about leaving him, but he will be getting a lunchtime toilet break and from what you say is fine when left so I wouldn't worry too much. Many dogs just doze off to sleep while their owners are out and it's the owners who worry, not the dogs . The important thing though is to ensure that you spend quality time with him when you are home - walks, cuddles, play and training.
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Thank you everyone you have really put my mind at rest. I know it is not ideal but like you have said, hopefully he will be ok for 5 weeks and then he can come with me!

I will look into the dog walker, ie costs etc. Will have a chat with a few about Bentley and see what they think, he isn't nasty he just doesnt like bouncy dogs. If he went out for say 30 minutes at lunchtime I maybe would need to cut down his evening walk from 1hr to 30mins because Bentley is 7 years old now, he is very active but I dont want things getting too much for him.

Im glad the food is ok, its make you wonder when the vets recommend other stuff doesnt it but it makes sense if they get comission like you say. The wet food I add is fish4 dogs salmon moose, just 1/2 a pouch is that ok??
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >