Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by LolasDallas View Post
Hi Ya'll

Just wondering if its crazy to put 2, 14 week old shelties in a 27inch W X 40inch L kennel for a day??!! I do come home for an 1hr for lunch so they would get a run, pee, poop and play. Im not too sure about it myself but have been told that it would be just fine. Im getting a 2nd tomorrow night so its just a one day dilemma.

Thanks
Hi LolasDallas , can you contact the breeder and delay the arrival of a second puppy until you are there to supervise them ?
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi LolasDallas , can you contact the breeder and delay the arrival of a second puppy until you are there to supervise them ?
Good suggestion. If you're certain you are going to have both, delaying the second would give you time to get at least started with the first and bonded a little more.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I took that to mean she was getting another kennel tomorrow and she already has two pups?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I took that to mean she was getting another kennel tomorrow and she already has two pups?
Hi LM do you think.
So what has happened with the two puppies up to now, how has the OP managed so far .I remember reading a second puppy was on the way but didn't think it had arrived yet.

I don't think it is a good idea to leave two puppies in such a small crate anyway (or to have two small puppies and leave them alone for long periods) .

ETA You are right LM , I just looked up the OPs previous posts and see the second puppy arrived just a week ago...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...25#post1858825

So my little guy is 14 weeks old tomorrow and he has a chewing fetish. It ranges from carpet, tables, cords, boxes, shoes, fingers!! BUT NOT his toys that have hardly been gnawed but if they have a tag he will chew on that!! Could it all be due to teething??? and will just vanish with his upcoming "Big" dog teeth??? I stop him when I can but its hard to do much when im not home. I will be getting his litter brother this weekend and hoping that it might make things better. Please help!!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
One of the purposes of the crate is to restrict activity slowing the body and extending the time a dog can go with food, water, or relieving itself..
Why on earth would one want to extend the time a dog can go without food or water???

Surely it's a basic need to have access to water unless something medical dictates otherwise.

I don't see how crating effects food access. You feed a dog, whatevers left (if any) is lifted that's it till next meal time. Wether the dog is in a crate or not is irrelevent. (Though I like to use crates for feeding times. Kongs filled with food keep them occupied whilst in there.)

You have a very twisted interpretation on crate training and it's uses imho.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Labman and the OP are N.Americans.

Apparently it's quite socially acceptable to leave dogs in crates all day long whilst working over there
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

Apparently it's quite socially acceptable to leave dogs in crates all day long whilst working over there
Sadly so. 9 hours a day and then 9 hours at night in a lot of cases.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 06:27 PM

We do have some other members from over the pond who don't find this acceptable though. I'd hate to think that was a typical US attitude IMO you either have time for a dog or you don't. If you don't get a cat or a fish or something! Not a crate though.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 06:32 PM

Where someone is from is no excuse for neglecting an animal.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Where someone is from is no excuse for neglecting an animal.
never said it was

cultural context and all that
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >