Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2006, 02:16 PM

Taking a break from agility.

I was just wondering if those that go to regular agility classes ever take a break from them? If so for how long?

I have been taking my 2 to classes once a week each since last November, but have had to stop for a while as I injured my knee mountain biking.

So, I was thinking of maybe giving them a rest for a few weeks or so, or maybe just to when the weather cools down a bit.

Any advice welcome thanks
colliesrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2006, 06:13 PM
i rest mine for 3 weeks over Christmas. it does them good to have a break, they come back even more enthusiastic and driven. im the one pining for it lol. it certainly wont do them any harm. some local clubs round here even close down for the whole of August.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi, yes dogs do benefit from a break and yes they do tend to come back refreshed and keen
Dont worry that your dogs will forget anything because they wont, but just be aware that sometimes, some dogs can come back from a break so excited to be back on the equipment that they can zoomie a bit for their first few goes on their return session, so if yours are highly self-motivated anyway you might need to do some extra focus work when you arrive at class just to steady them a bit, unless there is a set-up with a few jumps with which they can let off initial steam. Those scenarios tend to just be with the dogs which live and breath for their agility though.
I dont know your dogs, their experience level, or your experience level of course, so I am just trying to answer in a general way
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for advice

My 2 dogs, a border terrier & rescue cross, arent exactly totally focused on agility. I think they were losing a bit of interest the last few weeks as it was really hot so it was quite tough on them.

They do enjoy it though but Ben (BT) does tend to switch off after a bit anyway so I try not to bore him with it and usually stop if I know he is begining to lose interest during a class, rather than drag him round!

So, I'll take a few weeks off and start again after the summer.