Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
in a freezer something doesnt ring right about that and as for RSPCA inspectors not being qualified they are.
ATD
They aren't qualified they are just shown how to do it and the films I've seen of RSPCA Inspectors doing it shows that they are not competant. The one I saw just put a cat down in the back of the van! He made the decision that the cat was ill and that was it, no vet involved at all.
Becky
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Beautiful wee dog , glad she survived though lord knows how...
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 03:24 PM
This is the third time it has happened, sadly the other cases weren't so fortunate, one poor dog was PTS in the freezer another 2 times
Becky
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
They aren't qualified they are just shown how to do it and the films I've seen of RSPCA Inspectors doing it shows that they are not competant. The one I saw just put a cat down in the back of the van! He made the decision that the cat was ill and that was it, no vet involved at all.
Becky
Sorry just to say they are trained, and aren't allowed to euthanise unsupervised until competent and certified. The majority of inspectors would be more than pleased if it didn't fall upon them to have to carryout the awful deed.

In regards to the cat, the inspectors are only doing their jobs and following the RSPCA's polices. The reason they do it there and then is to prevent further suffering, as opposed to transporting the animal terrified in the back on a van and then caged until a vet is available to put him/her to sleep
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 07:50 PM
The RSPCA have screwed up on several occasions, one time recently killing an elderly Cat that had got into the street, saying he was ill and they were stopping further suffering. No vet consulted or anything else! I watched a program on the RSPCA some time ago, where a newish inspector was called to a Deer RTA, sadly the Deer had two broken back legs, so she killed it with a bolt gun. She said how surprised it was that it bled so much!! pardon?? how could you not realise that?

re the puppy in the story. im pleased she has survived and hope she lives a happy life from now on. Death by cardiac injection is nowhere near as safe as an intravenous one, I believe its favoured in the euthanasia of small puppies and kittens though.
Dawn.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Awful Story but so happy that pup made it!

Anne I didn't think RSPCA officers were fully trained vets?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
I dont want to read that but I wonder why rescue workers are allowed to kill an animal,when it should be a vets job
and the general public are not even allowed to give a shot of penicillin,without getting into trouble for practicing vet med without a license????????????///
its america, not the UK. the lady that runs many tears rescue in wales (a brit) had a job as an animal control officer in america, where part of her duties were to euthanise.
also, sue sternberg, a famous rescue centre owner from new york, euthanises her dogs herself.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
This is the third time it has happened, sadly the other cases weren't so fortunate, one poor dog was PTS in the freezer another 2 times
Becky
Although the story of the pup doesn't quite add up, the cases where this has actually happened are completely inexcusable, disgraceful mistake
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Anne I didn't think RSPCA officers were fully trained vets?
Find out for yourself if you're going to have that attitude.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Find out for yourself if you're going to have that attitude.
Anne it was a question not attitude
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >