Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 10:32 AM

how old when?

hi abbies pups are 4 weeks old this saturday, how old do they have to be before i can let them play outside in the garden?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2005, 11:09 AM
How 'safe' is your garden? Do other dogs who may bring in disease have access to it? Do people who might bring in disease have access to it? Presumably the bitch goes our there and returns to the pups so the disease aspect may not be of consequence if there have been no problems so far. Can you keep the pups contained in a pen so that they cannot stumble into trouble? Is the weather ok - not too hot, not too cold? Can you supervise them while they are outside so that you are immediately aware of any potential problems, such as bee or other insect stings? If you intend to put the pups on grass has it been treated with chemicals? If not on grass test the temperature of the surface, hot paving etc. can burn delicate paws & skin.

Probably ok to put them outside for a while if the dam is happy with that. But be aware of potential problems.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 11:14 AM
agree with SB ....some fresh air would be good for them make sure they can't escape and there is plenty of cool water....i would say 10 mins at the most would be fine today
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 11:28 AM
thanks my gardn is secure, no other dogs have been in there, i would be using a pen as i do in the house, i will be watching them its sunny but sheltered
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi Staffiesrule, a pen is the best idea, you know where all of your puppies are and i think its lovely watching them playing and sunbathing on a warm sunny day
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Mum with Molly and Maxs litter used a pen when they were 4 weeks old, they were shelted and never allowed out in to the garden!
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 01:39 PM
abbie wouldnt let me move the pen so i took pups outside one at a time for a couple of mins each
have posted a pic on picture