Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Dogs with jobs!

Now we have our own section up and running (thanks Azz), it would be great to know what range of working dogs we have on here.

Perhaps we could each say a bit about the type of work we do with our dogs etc.

I have two working sheep dogs.

Moss is 2 years old, I have had him from a pup and his breeder (a famous sheep dog man) talked me into giving herding a go. We started our training when Moss was around 6 months old, but then decided to leave him for a year to mature and then bring him out again. It has been a steep learning curve for us both - but thoroughly enjoyable and we are hoping to help with lambing this April and perhaps be trialling in the nurseries by next winter. There is no rush though

Rip is two and a half years old. I recently bought him from Moss's breeder (although he didn't actually breed him). He is everything I wanted when I first looked at getting a collie. He has already been part trained and has apparently trialled in a nursery, although no one is entirely sure. He is certainly going to help my learning and in turn help me to train Moss. I am hoping to get plenty of practical work done with Rip at my boyfriend's (he is a shepherd with 3000 Scottish Blackface sheep and lambs) and then hope to trial him towards the end of the year.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 09:46 AM
My two don't work but I have been out on a couple of shoots with a mate from work. It's amazing watching his dogs (2 Labrador retrievers and a springer spaniel) working. Jake isn't much interested, he just wants to chase sticks all day but Charlie is pretty bright and we reckon he could do well. Mate has been giving me some training tips etc and is gonna take me out, just shooting rabbits at first till we see how he gets on. It's great watching the dogs enjoying their work.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:00 AM
trin is part of the 'working dog group',but the only work she does is sleep!

she does 'guard' the house though,its a natural instinct to be werey of all strangers,until she sees me invite that person in,then its her natural instinct to drewell all over them
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Good luck with it Ian.

We have

3 pointers, Goldy, Lucky and Milly (Goldy is retired), an english setter, Dotty (in training really) and a gwp, Harvey for the grouse counts.

4 springers Holly, Pippa, Rosie, Tia (Holly is retired, Tia is in training but will be ready for next season) for beating which we do up to 4 or 5 times a week during the season. We also take them when we go out rabbiting, wildfowling, rough shooting, ferreting. Anything really that requires a spaniel.

Then we have Teal, a gwp. She is going to be doing the grouse counts this season, but that will be a lot of on the job training. I am hoping to trial her in the future but would like to shoot over her. She wasn't particularly planned but we'll find her plenty of work to do.

Helen
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:29 AM
At present I have 2 Terriers, soon to be 3.

Breeze is 4yrs old and does the most work. I use her for Gundog work, marking and retrieving and also and mainly for Terrier work. Ratting, Squirrel control and Fox work conditions permitting.

Tarn is a 7yr Border, and a Terrier only! Too hard IMO for Fox work, he would be fantastic for most folk, but to me he's too hard. I tried to train him for other work, but he's an out and out terrier, no retrieving here, only mince meat on return!

Next pup will also be worked, and shown (if good enough)
Dawn.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Too hard IMO for Fox work, he would be fantastic for most folk, but to me he's too hard.
I don't know a great deal about terrier work so what do you mean when you say "too hard"? He goes straight in there?

Helen
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:44 AM
My Fields work the beating line during the shooting season, one or two of them occasionally 'pick up' if required , we also use them out rabbiting, and rough shooting.

The Border Terriers are used mainly as vermin control on our own land, and we are also invited onto private land to do the same job.

I currently have a FS and a BT on maternity leave...good timing girls
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 10:46 AM
We have Florrie aka the weasel, she's just over two and a westie x dandie dinmont, bred with the intent of being long n long and the perfect multi purpose working terrier, she didn't exactly do her breeding any favours! She's not too bad for light work..rats,mice, rabbits etc..but she just is one that hasn't got all THAT much of the fiery instinct there. She's not too bad though bu by no means a true working terrier i guess.
Ralph is upcoming a year, English Springer Spaniel, been training him for a gundog for a while..he's only been out with the gun a few times, which i confess is not good enough.To be quite honest, with all going on with Ralph lately his training has gone a bit lapsy, but we shall soon be picking up as i know he misses it! I do think Ralph will prefer to be more of a flushing dog then an all rounder/retriever.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:57 AM
I have a non working BC, I always fancied trying him out and learning to herd myself but it wasn't to be. I love to see working BC's.
I also puppy walk for Guide Dogs, so far, largely retriever breeds,so I know all about their instinctive retrieving behaviours!!!!!! I also think assistance dogs are certainly dogs who work incredibly hard...they leave me speechless...which is a good thing, I'm sure you'll all agree!!!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I don't know a great deal about terrier work so what do you mean when you say "too hard"? He goes straight in there?

Helen
He "mixes" Helen, goes straight to attack the Fox, and gets bitten to bits. Many Terrier folk dont mind it, as the Fox is held more quickly. I prefer a "baying" dog, on that will back the Fox up and bay at it untill dug to. Breeze is a bayer, Tarn is a mixer. I dont want a dog that spends 2hrs below ground then, 3 weeks recovering, I want a dog that I can use every day. Tarn is a good dog for tracking though, follow a scent miles, injured game/Deer etc.. brilliant, and as I say first class ratting/Squirrel dog.

I wonder if we can put Squirrel pics in this section?
Dawn.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >