View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:44 AM
sorry - don't have one so probably should keep quiet - just thought it might be like the halti? and have a kindof safety strap? I'll be quiet now!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
sorry - don't have one so probably should keep quiet - just thought it might be like the halti? and have a kindof safety strap? I'll be quiet now!
Noooo I didn't mean to sound like that!!! sorry..

The bit under the chin that tightens up has a silver ring where you attach the lead... and this is where the halti link would go.. exactly the same as the halti..
But the bit Vicki is referring to is the excess from tightening up the bit that goes around the neck.. the exxcess from the collar bit..

Does that make better sense??
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Not sure Vicky but is that not incase you want to attach to a harness??

*meaning for seatbelt type*
Aahhh - could be Ian - thanks for that
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:02 PM
TO LOUISE :

hey don't worry wasn't taken that way - sorry was tongue in cheek!!!

No offence taken - sorry my post probably looks a bit curt too - hence the smiley on the end !

Can I ask for some advice?

I have a halti and dogmatic and my dogs hate them both!

Is the canny easier for them to adjust too - with the halti and dogmatic they rub their noses on my legs and paw away at them. They aren't too bad but when walking more than one like a bit more control if you know what I mean!?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:05 PM
We've just come back from a short walk around the block - Len only tried to rub it off about eleventy-three times but we just kept going. The good news is, if he gets distracted by an interesting smell, he sort of forgets he's wearing it. The even better news is
he's not pulling YAYAYAYAY!

Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:12 PM
'Ello!
How was the McD's??????

Aha...gentle leader...know it well!!!
I think they are brill.

He will HATE it initially.
Crucial piece of advice...ALWAYS associate putting it on with food! Put a treat in your hand, slip it over his nose and give him a biccie. If you don't, he may end up moving his head constantly once he coottons onto it making it impossible to put on, I've known a few dogs do that.

We used one on Ember and yes, he didn't like it to start off with but soon got used to it...in fact, he'd offer his nose, then put his head down so you could 'click' the collar bit on. Bless. (did i mention how excited I am about visiting him!!!! )

Anyway, distraction is the name of the game. If he likes his food, it'll be easier...take him out on his own with it on...he'll try EVERYTHING to get it off...who can blame him how weird must it feel??? It's not hurting him though so don't woryy...Ems walked on his back legs with his front ones round his nose initially...say 'no' and reward him as SOON as he has 4 legs on the ground and is pointing in the right direction...keep it happy and snappy...quick, don't hesitate...keep him walking and giving a no if he starts to eb daft and a nice stupid, high pitched good boy, as soon as he's looking like he's walking properly...he'll soon get the idea.:smt002

It's also an idea to either have a lead with 2 connectors (y'know the metal bits that link to the collar) or 2 leads...have them connected to his normal collar and one to the gentle leader, then when he's walking nicely you won't need to use the lead attched to the GL, but when he isn't you cna apply light pressure to the GL...that way, once he's walking well, it's less of a shock for him to come off the gL and be back on his normal collar.

Hope this helps a bit...they can be a bit like bucking broncos initially on them, but that's the same with any head collar I think, it must feel so weird. The main drawback I foubnd was that people assumed he was aggressive because of the way it was over his face.
Hope this helps, PM me if you want me to clarify anything...I'm certainly NOT an expert but found it such a useful training aid, after a couple of months he was off the gentle leader and walking beautifully. Brilliant.
Axxxxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:13 PM
sorry cross posted!!!!!
HOORAY!!!!!
Glad it worked and that he's starting to forget about it!!!!
Axxxx
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Aahhh - could be Ian - thanks for that

The loop isn't big enough for a seat belt and it would be dangerous to attach that big to a seat belt as its directly fastened around his neck..
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
TO LOUISE :
Is the canny easier for them to adjust too - with the halti and dogmatic they rub their noses on my legs and paw away at them. They aren't too bad but when walking more than one like a bit more control if you know what I mean!?
I think they will rub with the CC BUT they will get used to it quicker because they are controlled behind their head so there isn't as much pull on under the chin..

I find this is what they are objecting to.. more the tightness around their muzzle..

they will still get that with the CC but its distributed around to the back of the head .. does that make sense??
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
'Ello!
How was the McD's??????
Grease on a stick, and totally fab!

Thanks for the tips A - I'll def use chicken (Len's big weakness) to distract him when I put it on. At the mo he's just letting me, but I see what you're saying, so best to bribe him.

By the sounds of it, he seems to be coping pretty well. I'm very chuffed with him - now all I have to do is get him to have a wee whilst it's on and, preferably, when we're out walking.....

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >