View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris-D
New Member!
Female 

02-03-2015, 07:36 PM

URGENT - No Choice But To Return To The Shelter??

I am in need of some urgent advice. Last Wednesday I adopted a heartworm positive 2 yr old mixed breed dog from the shelter. I believe he has severe separation and confinement anxiety and don't know what to do.

Long story short, I spent about 5 days attempting to get him used to his crate. He would get in there to retrieve treats and he wouldn't even mind the door being latched as long as he had his stuffed kong. However as soon as he was done with the kong, he would dig, bite and shake the crate, try to use his weight to open the latch, etc... On about day 4 I left for about 10 minutes to find out he had escaped. I put him back in there and figured out that by all his biting and shaking of the crate he got one latch undone. Then he pushed and squeezed out of a very small opening.

I figured it will take more time for him to get used to the crate so yesterday I confined him in my bedroom when I left the house for about 30 minutes. I came back and I believed he did fine. However, last night when it was time for bed (he was sleeping in my room for the past 4 nights just fine), he started flipping out and scratching at the bedroom door even though I was in the bedroom with him.

Then this morning I had no choice but to put him in my room. I came home from lunch and the carpet and carpet padding by the door is shred to pieces. So I tried to put him in the crate with the treat. He fights me and does not go in. I tried to take him to a dog park in my complex the other day, even there he would dig and bite at the chain linked fence and try to escape.

So I hate to say it but I believe I am out of options but to return him to the shelter. He is absolutely unwilling to be kept in a crate and shut in the bedroom (even when I am there). I do not have a yard (and the way he acted at the dog park not sure even that would help). He only seems content with a free roam around the house when there are other people there. There is no way I can spend 18 hours a day with him. I've thought about forcing him in the crate and reinforcing it with D Links and carbeeners. However, he still bites and digs out it consistently (I'm surprised he hasnt broke a tooth or has injured his paw). I've read that I can put a muzzle on him in the crate but what kind of way of that is for him to live.

Other then that he is a great dog. Does anyone have any advice for me before I have to take that awful drive back to the shelter. So far he seems house broken and great with people. If i do take him back to the shelter I just hope he gets adopted by a new family then can give him the attention that he deserves.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Do you share your home with other people?
Where does he generally like to settle ?

Some dogs just hate crates and a door being shut and it makes them panic.
If he settles with a kong there is some hope .
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Oh, sad story. Some dogs can have an aversion to crates. It might be his past kicking in here, too. His previous owners might have paid him no attention and locked him up etc. which lead to his severe SA. It's often extremely hard to rid dogs of extreme cases of SA. Have you thought about a professional dog behaviorist? He's having a tough time of it, and I understand that you cannot have him destroying your house nor can you be with him all the time. Sorry I don't have better advice. If you take him back, be sure to mention exactly why so they can try hard to place him where he can try and recover. Good on you for adopting a heart worm positive dog, btw.
Chris-D
New Member!
Female 

02-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
Do you share your home with other people?
Where does he generally like to settle ?

Some dogs just hate crates and a door being shut and it makes them panic.
If he settles with a kong there is some hope .
Sometimes he will go lay down by himself in the other room. That is why I don't know if it is separation anxiety. It is almost like it is more like confinement anxiety.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2015, 09:05 PM
I have a question,bare with me I'm just trying to understand.
Why does he need to be closed into a crate or have the bedroom door closed?Is there a reason why they can't be left open?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2015, 09:09 PM
He hates being behind closed doors, it seems. I'd suspect he'd destroy the areas in front of any door trying to escape from it when left alone. Sounds like a really, really bad case of SA stemming from being locked behind closed doors too often.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2015, 11:32 PM
perhaps you could leave him loose for a short while, say about 10 minutes and see what happens , Leave a duvet or something cosy in the place he chose to rest and with a kong and something he that he can chew like a large bone to keep him busy.
Film him if you can to see how he behaves.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Have you tried him with free roam of the house? If not, I'd certainly give that a short trial - even if you stand outside for a while so that you can hear what he is doing
Chris-D
New Member!
Female 

03-03-2015, 12:21 AM
I went outside to talk on the phone for 10 minutes and my roommate said he heard him jumping and digging at the door.

I feel really bad because other then this he is a great dog. So far he seems house trained and pretty good with other people. I just think he needs a family that can keep him company for the majority of the day,
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2015, 12:48 AM
Its a difficult decision to make .

Its good he is not barking or soiling.
Seperation anxiety is a common problem with dogs . There are things you can do to help your dog cope with being alone.

I'm not clear what happened , when you stepped outside , do you mean you left the appartment or just your bedroom . Did your dog take any notice of your flat mate?

There are general tips you can follow =

leave a worn t shirt with your scent on it in a place where he likes to settle .
leave kongs and chews for him, chewing helps dogs to relax.

A DAP collar might help http://www.dapdiffuser.com/faq.html
There a canine lullaby CD http://www.caninelullabies.com/

Dont make a big fuss of him when leaving or coming home.

Go out of the door , give him a safe cue such as Back Soon , leave him something to eat and shut the door and come back in with in a minute . Repeat this often and build up the time gradually.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >