Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Unsavoury habit!

Pepe is a fifteen week old standard poodle.

A couple of weeks ago he started turning round immediately he'd done a poo, and eating it. I assumed this is something he'd grow out of, and have been managing it OK by watching him carefully - a sharp 'leave!' as soon as he starts to turn around works every time and I then of course clear it up. (He does though tend to go back and have a hopeful sniff around.)

However, this morning on our walk I turned around to check all three dogs were there, and found him eating a delicacy left by another dog. Once he's started, a verbal command is not enough and I have to drag him away.

Please tell me this is something he'll grow out of!!!

(I'm not underfeeding him am I? He certainly doesn't feel skinny.)
NightDiamond
New Member!
Female 

28-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Muzzle him?
pghboxer22
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Sometimes dogs do this because they're missing something nutritionally. Is he on a good high quality food?

Here in the states we have things you can add to the food to make it taste very bitter. Once the dog tries it a few times, they usually break the habit.

I would see or call your vet first to see what they say about it.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2012, 03:20 PM
All my dogs have done this to differing extents and all grown out of it eventually. My pup is 10 months and still likes to investigate other poos in the garden but doesn't just wolf it down like he used to, thank goodness! He doesn't eat his own either.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Ailsa is 7 and if I don't watch her she will still eat her own sometimes. 'Leave it' works if I am near her but if I let her out on her own I don't always monitor what she's doing first thing in the morning so she still probably does it at times..... yuk... I think if you put pineapple or is it grapefruit?? in their food it's supposed to deter them from eating their own but obviously you can't control them eating other dog's!!
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-08-2012, 09:06 AM
This is called Coprophagia and is very common in puppies. As pghboxer has said, ensure the food you are providing is nutritionally high quality, if it is kibble you need at least 20% meat content.

For cleanliness reasons, female dogs with puppies will often engage in coprophagia, which is entirely natural. There have also been reports that submissive dogs may consume the faeces of more dominant dogs, although the reason for this is not well understood.

Coprophagia is more common in puppies or adolescent dogs and is often associated with dogs which are under stimulated or left alone for too long a period. It is also known to be more common in puppies that are left in crates for too long.

Although unproven, dogs who are disciplined for house training mistakes may be more likely to eat stools. They build an association between stools and punishment and attempt to 'remove the evidence'. Having said that, a dog's logic is unlikely to be quite so calculating and there may be other explanations we don't yet understand.

The addition of pineapple juice to Pepe's food may be worth a try, or you can buy tablets on Amazon which may do the trick. But i think your own anticipation of the problem by removing the stool immediately is also very important. I am now tuned in to my puppy and have his lead ready to take him out to toilet as soon as he has finished eating.

Tablets here.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o00_s00_i00
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2012, 03:29 PM
They usually grow out of it unless it becomes a big game or competition.
How about chucking a ball for him as soon as he`s finished - as a distraction?
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Many thanks to everyone for their replies and suggestions.

I can only think it is a puppy thing he's going through. I don't think he's understimulated - he's never crated, he's never left alone and he has two other dogs to pester and play with and of course I play/train/exercise/groom him. Quite an action packed life really! Definitely never been punished or told off for house-training mistakes - accidents have been very rare and I've cleaned them up without comment.

I am sure (or hope anyway) his diet is OK - he's fed Natures Menu and Naturediet, which he eats with relish (perhaps that's the problem - perhaps what comes out the other end is tasty too!).

Will certainly try the pineapple juice and if that doesn't work try the tablets, and will try throwing something as distraction as ClaireandDaisy suggests.

If it continues I'll take him to the vet to see if he can find any sort of physical cause.

Again, thank you to everyone for your input.
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2012, 05:45 PM
I let Reg out for a last wee on Monday night, wondering why he was taking so long to come back in, I went out to investigate and found him polishing off a pile he'd just done!
He's never done this before, and he's not a young dog.
He was on Butchers tripe but I've now gone back to Naturediet in case his diet is lacking in something.
His poos are already firmer and his terrible wind has subsided.
I just wish they sold better quality food in the Supermarket, it would make life much easier...I wonder why they don't?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by LindsayP View Post
I let Reg out for a last wee on Monday night, wondering why he was taking so long to come back in, I went out to investigate and found him polishing off a pile he'd just done!
He's never done this before, and he's not a young dog.
He was on Butchers tripe but I've now gone back to Naturediet in case his diet is lacking in something.
His poos are already firmer and his terrible wind has subsided.
I just wish they sold better quality food in the Supermarket, it would make life much easier...I wonder why they don't?
The quality food are not sold on mass / the margin is poor in comparison / the suppliers haven't apporached the supermarkets
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >