Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Western Riding

Just got back from our 2nd lesson of how to ride Cowboy style On proper american quarter horses

I think I prefer it to English riding, although I do get very confused as the commands are pretty opposite to what I'm used to I got a weave that any agility dog would be proud of without even trying Got my rein command right but my legs wrong

With English you put your leg on for the horse turn around it, western you put your leg on to move the horse away from it but it kinda makes sense (when you remember) and I think it feels much more natural, all the horses are ridden with a very loose rein too.

I managed to get a skid stop reverse and go off at a 90 degree angle all in one movement today - wooohooooo even if it was only at a trot

Anyway a couple of piccies of our 'mounts'

Bri on Bill

Me n MJ

MJ - Isn't she pretty

P.S. They tie their tails up so when they do the skid stop their bums drop quite low as they're stopping and if their tails are long they stand on them when they go into reverse
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Ooh I would LOVE to try western riding!! Fab!
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 04:57 PM
I too would love to try Western riding - very jealous!!! And MJ is gorgeous!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:23 PM
I did lots of Western riding when in the US, TBH I prefer English tack, softer on the nether regions IMHO.

I had a bash at barrel racing in the states on competition horses and it was unbelievable, beat the mounted games version hands down!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I wanna have a go!

No fair! Where'd you go, might see if I can get a lesson in when I'm next up at my Mum's.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:57 PM
I went on a two hour western road and I must admit, I found English style easier although Im sure if I got used to it, I would probably find western easier!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Aw wow, lovely photos, what an experience, i just can't imagine riding western!

I started riding again today, still on a high tonight! Just on a friends retired show hunter, and it's a regular thing Woohoo! Horses are just amazing xxxx
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I did lots of Western riding when in the US, TBH I prefer English tack, softer on the nether regions IMHO.

I had a bash at barrel racing in the states on competition horses and it was unbelievable, beat the mounted games version hands down!
I'm hoping to have a go at barrel racing and rounding up cattle when I'm away

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I wanna have a go!

No fair! Where'd you go, might see if I can get a lesson in when I'm next up at my Mum's.
We go here: http://www.oakridgequarterhorses.co.uk/ it's down near Newark, it's an amazing place with proper American instructors who have competed in reigning championships

We had a guided tour of the place and it's immaculate I've never seen stables so clean The owner is so passionate about her horses, there must be 30 there and she can tell you the breeding lines of every single one They only breed to continue lines and to get the best horses, this year they have 3 babies all hopefully destined for greatness
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Looks great I ride western and have an Appaloosa, I'm hopefully aiming at reining and trail classes with her.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Looks great I ride western and have an Appaloosa, I'm hopefully aiming at reining and trail classes with her.
Oooooh lucky you

The place I go to have a competition the last day of August and the UK reigning championships are being held there in October I think she said I'm hoping to go fr a looksee
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >