View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2011, 03:44 PM
what happens if a handler dresses smart casual?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
A handler can pretty much wear what they want.. Of course people will always have an opinion on it, as most feel its respectful to make an effort.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
A handler can pretty much wear what they want.. Of course people will always have an opinion on it, as most feel its respectful to make an effort.
why wouldnt smart casual be respectful?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Shouldnt really make a difference as your judging the dog not the handler, but personally I think it shows repect for the judge if you dress smartly.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 03:54 PM
why wouldnt smart casual be respectful?
I wasnt saying it isnt respectful - just saying nothing would happen as a handler can wear what ever, its the people ring side that have the opinions - I hardly ever wear a suit..Just trousers and a top (apart from at crufts).
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
In Germany in the adult classes the GSD is shown on & off lead. I love watching it. They did it this year at the British Seiger held just outside Birmingham. Its very different from obedience though where except where the dog is stationary in a stay only one dog at a time is in the ring.
That seems very doable to me.

I didn't mention flyball or agility because they are very different. My expectation would be to be able to walk off from any event with my dog around me off the lead---that is what I used to do but I fully accept that with some dogs it is very difficult especially somewhere like Crufts.

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Shouldnt really make a difference as your judging the dog not the handler,

hence my question

but personally I think it shows repect for the judge if you dress smartly.
so why would smart casual not be showing respect or the judge?....also, you just said they are judging the dog, not the handler?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Of course its respectful - you have been invited to the main dog show of the year - you have worked hard to get your dog groomed to its best, stands to right the owner shouldnt look a mess, you also need to wear a colour that shows the dog off, not something that clashes.

The people showing are meant to be well respected breeders, handlers - they are promoting their breed, its nice to leave a good impression.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I wasnt saying it isnt respectful - just saying nothing would happen as a handler can wear what ever, its the people ring side that have the opinions - I hardly ever wear a suit..Just trousers and a top (apart from at crufts).
if its just the people ringside that have the opinions, does it mean it makes no difference to the judge what you wear?
so they arent worried you arent showing them respect after all?
does this also mean the judges do not consider this at all when awarded points?
why dont many handlers wear clean neat jeans and trainers, for example?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:05 PM
if its just the people ringside that have the opinions, does it mean it makes no difference to the judge what you wear?
so they arent worried you arent showing them respect after all?
does this also mean the judges do not consider this at all when awarded points?
why dont many handlers wear clean neat jeans and trainers, for example?
The judge may well have an opinion on what handlers are wearing, but handling your self your not meant to be having conversations with the judges so I couldnt tell you how they feel. Each will be different I guess.
It doesnt matter to me if the judge is bothered about being respected or not, its nice to show respect..These judges will be people that are very knowledgable and known in the dog world, its nice to leave a good impression, and look atleast like you have made an effort.
Some handlers do wear jeans and/or trainers at smaller shows. But there will always be handlers that like to make a little more effort for the bigger shows.
Page 10 of 28 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »