Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gray C
New Member!
Male 

20-12-2009, 11:07 AM

Halti harness, but which one?

My newfie pulls like a demon and i have tried several head collars on their own and he pulls backwards and out of them within seconds (Halti and Gentle Leader). I am now thinking of using a harness as well as another type of head collar (maybe a K9 bridle).

I have looked on the company of animals site and they offer three Halti harnesses, the standard one, the non pull harness and the Lupi (an appropriate name for my dog at least lol)

Which one have you tried and which one do you recommend to suit my dog? Two important points to consider are:

1 He is very strong so the harness has got to be strong too

2 It needs to be easy to put on. I tried a Pets at Home harness that you have to put the dogs legs through and it was an absolute nightmare to get on him.

Harley is a lovely dog (a boisterous 11 month pup of approximatley 9 stone and still growing) but he is a real BIG problem to walk

Any advice welcome
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 05:33 PM
I manage to walk two large Malamutes with one hand when they have their Dogmatics on....
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I use the halti stop pull harness on Shady and attatch the lead to the front ring accross the chest. I is such a simple harness to put on as well no getting thier legs through anything.
In conjuction with it I use the dogmatic headcollar. I have tried all sorts of headcollars and this really is the best.
The combination of the two works very well on my big girl, who now walks very nicely indeed. If she does pull toward something I use the lead coming from the harness to stop her and the headcollar lead is only used if she takes exception to another dog (she is very fear aggresive) and I know with the two I have her under full control whatever the scenario.
Gray C
New Member!
Male 

20-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I thought the stop pull harness was the one the legs go through and the Halti harness was the head over the head and clips under the body? Then there is the Lupi harness.

So confusing to know which one is being recommended

Is this the one you mean or just the Halti harness?

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/non-pull-harness.php
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 06:50 PM
we use a 'Dogalter' for mums Italion Spinone! works wonders for us and makes it so much easier to enjoy our walks! athough i guess all dogs/owners are different and its down to you what you find works best for you and your dogs!
good luck, finding one that works well for you!
http://www.kumfi.com/index.php?page=...emart&Itemid=8
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Gray C View Post
I thought the stop pull harness was the one the legs go through and the Halti harness was the head over the head and clips under the body? Then there is the Lupi harness.

So confusing to know which one is being recommended

Is this the one you mean or just the Halti harness?

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/non-pull-harness.php
Sorry I thought you menat there was more than one sort of Halti harness these days. It is the halti harness I use with a ring at the front and on the back.
Gray C
New Member!
Male 

20-12-2009, 07:02 PM
This is a new one on me, never heard of a dogalter
Gray C
New Member!
Male 

20-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Sorry I thought you menat there was more than one sort of Halti harness these days. It is the halti harness I use with a ring at the front and on the back.
Thanks, just need to work out which size to get now
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gray C View Post
This is a new one on me, never heard of a dogalter
Its been around a while, its works the same as a head collar would on a horse!