Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
1 hour for shopping?!?!
Is it the big Tesco's, or one of the small tesco shops?
No I just used 1 hr as an example. I think the times vary depending on the store. One of our local stores was about 1.5 - 2 hours, which is okay for a general food shop. But they stock so much other stuff - clothes, electricals, books etc. it is easy to overstay.

I wouldn't mind pay and display - if they don't want you staying more than 1, 2, 3 hours, it's up to them. I just object to having my personal details distributed around. I guess it costs less than having to employ someone to check for tickets.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't KNOW, but I surmise that the info is supplied to Tesco by the DVLA, which is now a private agency and consequently under less Government control ( a Tory innovation, methinks)

Snorri
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Prepare for long moan...

This is actually a large part of the reason that I've lost an awful lot of interest in computers over recent years. I grew up during the emergence of computers, and have always used them. A large part of my life has been spent programming them too. I've loved them, and I loved all of the possibilities that they could have provided.

However, somewhere along the line, we really abused what they can provide for us as a society. Tag this, watch that, ID this, the list really does go on. I positively hate it, I really do. It's a far cry from the future of computing that I was promised when growing up with them, that's for sure.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
I don't KNOW, but I surmise that the info is supplied to Tesco by the DVLA, which is now a private agency and consequently under less Government control ( a Tory innovation, methinks)

Snorri
Ahright - a result of privatisation.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Prepare for long moan...

This is actually a large part of the reason that I've lost an awful lot of interest in computers over recent years. I grew up during the emergence of computers, and have always used them. A large part of my life has been spent programming them too. I've loved them, and I loved all of the possibilities that they could have provided.

However, somewhere along the line, we really abused what they can provide for us as a society. Tag this, watch that, ID this, the list really does go on. I positively hate it, I really do. It's a far cry from the future of computing that I was promised when growing up with them, that's for sure.
It's scary isn't it? Like some of the SciFi/AI/BB films that have been out there.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It's scary isn't it? Like some of the SciFi/AI/BB films that have been out there.
hehe I find that when you agree with that, many people accuse you of being a conspiracy theorist or other such nonsense. But yes, the frightening thing is, you're absolutely right.

Not only does it frighten me what we're now using computers for, but also just how easily, as a society, we've accepted the ever-expanding intrusion into our rights and privacy. Many teens I speak to, love that their information will all soon be carried around on one handy-dandy card, that their cars will be chipped for this, and chipped for that. In fact, I've often heard it described as "cool". I'd bet my bottom dollar that they won't be thinking that in a few years.

I know that I'm glad I'm in the generation I'm in. Sure, there's still time for me to suffer some of the results, but nowhere near as much as the next generations. I feel for them.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 03:51 PM
i would find it hard to stay within the time limit
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Prepare for long moan...

Whilst I didn't have the early-life involvement that GSDL seems to have had, I can agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed! I'm still interested in what a computer will do FOR ME, but very suspicious about what other people do with them! My life would take a distinct downturn if I were to become computerless (I use it for communication, entertainment and shopping, as well as a reference tool). After all, it's not the computer we should worry about, but the berk that's using it!

Snorri
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
I think Asda allow a 2 hour stay - and I am sure I have gone over that more than a few times much to my o/h's annoyance. I always thought it was to stop people parking on their car parks and then doing their shopping somewhere else and if you could proove you were actually in their store then that was okay
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 04:01 PM
hehe I find that when you agree with that, many people accuse you of being a conspiracy theorist or other such nonsense. But yes, the frightening thing is, you're absolutely right.

Not only does it frighten me what we're now using computers for, but also just how easily, as a society, we've accepted the ever-expanding intrusion into our rights and privacy. Many teens I speak to, love that their information will all soon be carried around on one handy-dandy card, that their cars will be chipped for this, and chipped for that. In fact, I've often heard it described as "cool". I'd bet my bottom dollar that they won't be thinking that in a few years.

I know that I'm glad I'm in the generation I'm in. Sure, there's still time for me to suffer some of the results, but nowhere near as much as the next generations. I feel for them.
You're right - we're being logged and monitored all over the place. "I am not a number ..." etc.

Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
Well when they have cafes too they actively encourage a longer stay. Honestly I can spend a good couple of hours wandering around, looking at tv's, microwaves, books, beauty stuff, buying food, having a coffee - it's like a mini shopping centre.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >