Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tararaboom
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2014, 12:16 PM

3 month old - loose stools.

Hi all, newbie here

I have a 3 month old chihuahua x Cavalier and am having issues with diarrhea. He is on Arden Grange puppy kibble and until the last few days was having a little Lily's Kitchen wet food with this. Now I have him just on the kibble as his tummy has been very upset. He also has pooch and mutt puppy treat as a reward for going to the loo outside. He was having a Harringtons treat but I've thrown these away because I wondered if they were upsetting him. Is Arden Grange a good food or has anyone else had any issues?
tararaboom
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Also has anyone got an opinion on Burgess Sensitive puppy food?
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey! Arden Grange in general is quite a good food but it does contain Maize which is quite difficult to digest and your dog might have an intolerance towards it.
You could try a grain free diet with only 1 meat source or perhaps kibble where the only grain is brown rice, as it's easier to digest.

A trip to the vet might be an idea as well, as loose stools can be caused by a number of conditions, especially if you've been feeding him the kibble for a while but he's only just developed diarrhoea now.

Good luck!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2014, 12:26 PM
If you want to have a look and compare dog foods, try 'allaboutdogfood' (just type it into google, I never know if I can post a link or not here lol)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey. Arden Grange is considered to be a very good food (even my vet has given it the thumbs up). My dog is doing very well on her large breed Arden Grange chicken and rice, too well in fact. My vet told me only last week that because this food is a very *good* and wholesome food you don't need as much of it, so I would check with how much you should be feeding your puppy.

You could e-mail them and give his weight and ask them, I'm sure they will be very helpful.

I've learned something today, cos I didn't realise it does contain maize (thanks Florence!), because I like to avoid foods with cereals.

Diarrhea can be caused by overfeeding. The treat sticks you mention can also cause diarrhea, you could try Fish4Dogs fish sticks which are a natural dried fish skin treat and nothing else in them, so you know you're safe with them, no nasty additives etc.

Diarrhea can also be caused by worms, so is his worming up to date? Lots of different worms cause diarrhea and upset tums, so you'd be wise to maybe ask your vet about a worming programme.

Good luck with your little puppy, but if he's not bright as a button with this diarrhea I would whip him off to the vets for a quick check over because puppies can go downhill so fast at this age if it's not food related. Soft stools are usually overfeeding or food related, but if he's got really bad diarrhea, then I really would take him to the vet. He'll probably advise chicken and rice for a few days to give his tummy a rest.

Good luck and please let us know how he gets on.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Hi there

Sounds like you might have got a bit food happy with your new baby, that's quite a lot of different things in what I suspect is a fairly short space of time. Are you feeding the same as where you got him from?

As Helena says I would definitely take him to the vet as he is still very young and they can go downhill fast at that age.

I hope you get him sorted, good luck
tararaboom
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Hi and welcome to Dogsey. Arden Grange is considered to be a very good food (even my vet has given it the thumbs up). My dog is doing very well on her large breed Arden Grange chicken and rice, too well in fact. My vet told me only last week that because this food is a very *good* and wholesome food you don't need as much of it, so I would check with how much you should be feeding your puppy.

You could e-mail them and give his weight and ask them, I'm sure they will be very helpful.

I've learned something today, cos I didn't realise it does contain maize (thanks Florence!), because I like to avoid foods with cereals.

Diarrhea can be caused by overfeeding. The treat sticks you mention can also cause diarrhea, you could try Fish4Dogs fish sticks which are a natural dried fish skin treat and nothing else in them, so you know you're safe with them, no nasty additives etc.

Diarrhea can also be caused by worms, so is his worming up to date? Lots of different worms cause diarrhea and upset tums, so you'd be wise to maybe ask your vet about a worming programme.

Good luck with your little puppy, but if he's not bright as a button with this diarrhea I would whip him off to the vets for a quick check over because puppies can go downhill so fast at this age if it's not food related. Soft stools are usually overfeeding or food related, but if he's got really bad diarrhea, then I really would take him to the vet. He'll probably advise chicken and rice for a few days to give his tummy a rest.

Good luck and please let us know how he gets on.
Thank you for your reply I'll give the fish treats a go instead and also yes he's due now for his second lot of Advocate and then 7 days after the tapeworm tablet so perhaps that'll help him and I'll keep you posted
tararaboom
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
Hi there

Sounds like you might have got a bit food happy with your new baby, that's quite a lot of different things in what I suspect is a fairly short space of time. Are you feeding the same as where you got him from?

As Helena says I would definitely take him to the vet as he is still very young and they can go downhill fast at that age.

I hope you get him sorted, good luck
I changed around a fortnight after getting him, the breeder was feeding Purina Beta puppy but I heard a few negative things about that food and a lot of positive things about Arden Grange. But yes perhaps I have been a bit food happy to be fair.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2014, 03:46 PM
My four are all on AG and have been for years. My next puppy will also be on it. It is one of the better foods but, like any food, if I give too much, it will just come out the other end - quickly! So try reducing the amount - I never feed the quantities manufacturers recommend.