Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
daveabster
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-10-2010, 10:25 PM

2nd problem of the week - grrrr

OK, some of you will have seen my earlier thread about Olly being sick. Just picked up a poo which has a long worm in it. I am no expert but i assume its worms?

Sorry to be stupid, but I dont know anything about them. The vet gave me some worm tablets when he had his jabs even though the breeder said he had been wormed (starting to wonder about this guy btw) and I gave him the tablet as directed. With him being sick; does that mean I have to administer again? Also, do the worms only come out back end and would they be alive? The reason I ask is that I don't know how the treatment works. Would I expect them to come out after treatment etc?

Sorry to be a pain but this may be the underlying reason for the sickness he has been having. Poor ******; doesn't look like he has been well looked after at all,

Any advice gratefully received. The worm is about 2 inches long btw if that helps. I have saved the poo and offending worm in case I am supposed to take to vet?

Thanks
Dave & Olly
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Was the pup sick after you gave him the tablet and how long after if so?? It is not uncommon for a pup to be unwell after worming. You say the breeder wormed him, do you know how long ago?? pups have to be wormed every 4 weeks until there 6 months, so maybe they had wormed him, but he was due to be wormed again (just a thought)
No the worms only come out the back end, but the tablet itself can upset their tummy's and make them a bit sick. Hope this helps
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 10:47 PM
If a puppy is severely infested with worms they can also vomit the worms up. However as your puppy has just passed the one worm after being wormed, I dont think this is the case with your little chap and no you dont need to take either the stool or worm to the vet.