View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissyPink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2007, 10:05 AM

How long will it take for my dog to get over losing someone?

Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone can help me? I've recently split up from my partner, 2 weeks ago now, and Mily (1 year old staffie cross) is feeling very sad. She keeps being sick, moreso when i take her out for a walk. I have moved back to my parents, and i know with the new surroundings it will take her time to settle, but how long will it take for her to feel better and realise that she's with me now?

I had Mily from 4 weeks old; because i've had her from such a young age will it take her longer to get over him?

How long does it take for dogs to get over someone?

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks

MissyP.

Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Missypink. Sorry to hear about your relationship split. I think the best thing to do with Mily is to act as normally as possible. I realise this could be difficult, but you must try not to let Mily know that you are sad too. Dogs pick up on this so easily and tend to "join in". Gee her up, be jolly around her, don't sympathise. Good luck xox
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-04-2007, 10:33 AM
That's good advice Vicki, That's what I did with Blackie after my mum passed away, I tried to keep as normal as possible and played with Blackie a lot, even if you don't want to be cheerful you have to try. And plenty of intersting walks too.

Ian
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Its hard to say it took my bitch about a month to cheer up after father went into hospital & thn died, but right up till she died 4 years later she would look hopefully if a car the same as his pulled up here,& then go & lie down sadly for a while. She showed no signs of missing him at any other time after about a month though & enjoyed life to the full.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 11:19 AM
I think it will also depend on the individual dog. Murphy (my lab) will go off with anyone and never give you a second glance. When i went away for a week he didnt even blink. Vienna (my NI) on the other hand was looking everywhere for me and was moping about like crazy. Their routine didnt change at all only that OH did everything i would usually do.

I think the other advice to be as normal as possible is really good & important for Mily but other than that i guess dogs are like us, everyone is different when they lose someone. And different people need different lengths of time to adjust. So perhaps the same goes for dogs?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 08:47 AM
I agree that you need to be as normal as possible, react in the smae way to your dog as you always have done. Keep feed times and walks to the same time etc.
I would say it would take about 3 weeks for the dog to adjust to a new environment.
If your dog is being sick a lot, it may be worth taking it to the vet, just to be on the safe side. Whilst it may be an emotional reaction, I am guessing it's more likely to be a physical problem, unless your dog is very nervous.
Good luck and sorry you are having a tough time.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 09:55 AM
I agree with Ramble's post above-re-a change of environment too- your dog will be missing your ex but will also need time to adjust to the new house/environment.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I would definitely get your dog checked out by your vet just in case there is a health problem that is making her ill.

I am sorry to hear about your split, and agree with the others that you should try and be as upbeat and positive as possible around Milly. I hope she picks up soon.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Are you living far from where you were before? I often found mine had upset tummies & sickness from a change of water. This could be contributing to her problem. Hope she is better & happier soon.
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Probably a lot depends on the dog. I know mine are fine when we go away or other people take them out. Or I go away with them and not my husband.

However, if I am upset or worried, they really pick up on it and can become very subdued and eat less.

As other's say, it could be water change or something on the sickness. Or if normally nervous, it could be that.

Has she travelled with you a lot and walked in lots of different places? If not and she went mainly to one area, she might just be nervous outside in new surroundings - smells/sights/number of people etc.

Hope she feels better soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >