Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi I may be showing my ignorance,but the only dog I have known to have problems with puppies is the bulldog because they rarely give birth naturally,and would imagine that the puppies cost will reflect that.I know of a lady who was put on a waiting list for pugxfrenchbulldog and she paid more then my, Belgian Shepherds but it never occurred to me that smaller dogs would cost more,because people are buying poodles to cross with Labradors ect crystalgirl
From what we were told when we were looking around chihuahuas are hard to even get pregnant, they only have small litters and due to the size of many of them end up having caesarians. Not all of course but enough to cause the price to rise. I blame the celebs for wanting them smaller and smaller some are not much too small.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-04-2013, 01:48 PM
It's called supply and demand.
If what you want is in demand and hard to come by, the price goes up accordingly.
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
Very hard to argue with any of that. Dogs are like anything you buy, you will only pay what you consider it to be worth. Breeders will sell their puppies at the current going rate. I don't blame them because if their pups are from solid health tested stock, and all of the work they put in its worth it to me. Most breeders are there for you through your dogs life. If money was no object there are quite a few different bull breeds that sell for over £1200 over here that I would love to own, but my budget wouldn't stretch to that, as well as covering the cost of responsibly owning a dog for life.
Exactly.

I purchased Bernie for £2000. I was on the breeders waiting list for 11 months. I know she paid out well over £1000 for the c-section. There were 3 pups in the litter, 1 dog & 2 bitches. She had all the relevant tests done throughout. She put in a lot of time and effort and of course, more money spent. She also kept one of the bitches meaning she took in £4k for the two pups. Responsible breeders don't make as much profit as some people may think. If for any reason I could no longer take care of Bernie, my breeder made me sign a contract to say he will go back to her.

Bernie was absolutely worth every penny. I am chuffed to bits with him and excited to see how he gets on at his first ringcraft class tomorrow
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by lindaisy View Post
Bulldogs are now going for £2000.....I love the breed but not the problems.

I must admit to paying £600 for my girl.....she is an old tyme bulldog (aylestone).

I got a heathy bulldog.....with the wonderful attitude and loyalty I desired, so I think £600 was a bargain compared to a KC Bulldog..

Love her to bits and what I get in return from her she was worth every last penny.....un-conditional love is priceless.
Oh, just googled for them
they are really beautiful Bulldogs!

and to your first paragraph, I just can agree
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2013, 05:31 PM
nice to see another french bulldog mum xx
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by s7eph View Post
nice to see another french bulldog mum xx
Hello!! Likewise! How old is your frenchie?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Our first springer was a farm bred working springer and we paid £150 for her, the others were all rescues which again we paid £150 donation for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but this was for a neutered, vacinated, flead, wormed and chipped dog, so not bad really.

We are currently starting to look for breeders expecting a litter towards the end of this year beginning of next as Hubby's working dog is 8 this year and he expects it to take up to 2 years to do properly hence meaning she will be 10 and ready to take a break from full days, we are expecting to pay for a well bred working springer anywhere between 500 - 800 for what we want, a lot of money when you consider what they sell for on preloved
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
I think it depends on the breed, my first dane cost me £1000 as he was show quality as i wanted to show, sadly i lost him at 2yrs old, and swore i would never pay that amount for another dog again, my second dane cost me £850, I know of some breeders who charge up to £2000 for a show quality pup i think its stupid. there is no way i would pay anything near that for a cross breed
but there isn't any "money making" like some people keep saying

or does the vet ask, if it's a show dog or not and if, suddenly the health tests and whatever gets more expensive?
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2013, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by petitsfilous View Post
Hello!! Likewise! How old is your frenchie?
Fred is 2 years and 4 months and spoilt rotton !!
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5