View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't trust a Kerry around kids. Stick with a poodle!
Becky
strawboss
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-08-2007, 02:57 PM
The Airedale & Welsh terriers don't moult
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2007, 03:00 PM
My old babysitter had an Airedale. Called Buster! Nuts but brilliant LOL
strawboss
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
My old babysitter had an Airedale. Called Buster! Nuts but brilliant LOL
A better description of the breed is hard to come across, my Welsh fit the bill!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2007, 03:17 PM
oh airedale terriers! i love these! tell her to get ones of these!!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Bearing in mind its not the hair itself which causes allergy trigger, its triggered via saliva and the dander from the skin - all dogs shed these skin cells.

Any of the children the child-minder looks after who live with dogs will have some dander on their clothes - usually microscopic but will be there and will therefore be on her furniture and carpets as well as being transfered directly when she takes the childs coat off or puts it back on the child for instance.

Yes in more abundance from direct contact there will be more reaction but if they are truly allergic they will react just from transfered dander without the animal present.

Many doctors do jump to conclusions about animal allergy and a lot of people `get rid` of pets as a result

As an allergy asthmatic myself I know that my chest can tighten and start wheezing at the thought of being in contact with my triggers as much as the actual contact though not as severely of course but the mind can certainly trigger a very real physical reaction - understanding it is a big step toward lessening the effects of it.

An ex many years ago claimed to be allergic to fur and feather - and had tests to prove it - yet whenever I caught him cuddling my wabbit and playing with other peoples dogs he never once had any symptoms of a reaction - it seemed the animals he liked the look of miraculously did`nt make him sneeze

Incidentally, when I went to the doc about my allergies he could see some pet hair on me and concluded I was allergic to cats and must get rid of them.
I insisted on tests.
They revealed what my allergies were - and they do not include fur or feather.

One very red faced doctor got a lecture about making assumptions from being a very poor Sherlock wannabe and probably causing many people to give up their pets as a result over the years :smt075

[ For me it made no difference, no way was I giving my crew up even if it had turned out I was allergic to them, that was simply not an option, end of ! ]

So if the lady and her child have not actually had the relevant skin tests [ which don`t hurt btw ], and if she is going by a docs diagnosis without it being backed up with those tests, it would be well worth her while to insist on them in case its nothing to do with dander at all :smt001

If it is definite however, there are things she can do to enable them to have a dog and be comfortable health wise, including a Hepa filter [ which gets the dander out of the air environment ] and a coat treatment which is available from lare pet shops which is simply brushed through [ I think there are wipes as well ], and neutralises the danders effects [ very basic laymans terms sorry ].

Tests showing degree of reaction might help guide her toward what measures might help anyway :smt001

Or she can get a Poodle, [ there ya go Becky ], as she knows she`s ok with them anyway - just don`t tell her they might not shed coat but they still shed dander and have saliva like any other dog

-------------------------------------

Helpful products

http://www.allergymatters.com/acatal...FQRIMAodHGIdRA

http://www.allergymatters.com/acatal..._Products.html

-----------------------------

Experts info

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=20275

Animal Allergy, The Facts
[ from National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Health (http://www.niaid.nih.gov/publications) ]

Household pets are the most common source of allergic reactions to animals. Many people think that pet allergy is provoked by the fur of cats and dogs. But researchers have found that the major allergens are proteins secreted by oil glands in the animals' skin and shed in dander as well as proteins in the saliva, which sticks to the fur when the animal licks itself. Urine is also a source of allergy-causing proteins. When the substance carrying the proteins dries, the proteins can then float into the air. Cats may be more likely than dogs to cause allergic reactions because they lick themselves more and may be held more and spend more time in the house, close to humans.

Some rodents, such as guinea pigs and gerbils, have become increasingly popular as household pets. They, too, can cause allergic reactions in some people, as can mice and rats. Urine is the major source of allergens from these animals.

Allergies to animals can take two years or more to develop and may not subside until six months or more after ending contact with the animal. Carpet and furniture are a reservoir for pet allergens, and the allergens can remain in them for four to six weeks. In addition, these allergens can stay in household air for months after the animal has been removed. Therefore, it is wise for people with an animal allergy to check with the landlord or previous owner to find out if furry pets had lived previously on the premises

------------------------------
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm supposed to be allergic to animals and I'm an asthmatic! Like that would stop me lol!
Becky
Biff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I wouldn't trust a Kerry around kids. Stick with a poodle!
Becky
I would. I grew up with a kerry, he was the softest dog I've seen around kids, as the house was always packed with them (my large number of friends ofcourse). Gazza was more trustworthy than Biff is with our nephew.

Get a Kerry.
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Don't get a Bouvier des Flandres if you want a non-shedding dog!
My SIL has them and I am also finding Bouv fluff round the house when she comes to stay (although it could be from Louie pulling it out when they play )

Good luck to your friend on whatever breed they choose
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2